Honored Contributor

Re: Can a doctor refuse to prescribe a med . . .

No call from the nurse yesterday.  Today's my last chance to get a scrip as they will probably be closed tomorrow. 

I will call them again.  This is getting scary, I only have a few pills left that I can perhaps stretch through the weekend if I take half doses.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Lilac~I hope you get that call.  It's important, it's urgent.

I feel so bad that this thread turned so nasty.  And all it was really about was the pain you're in and the worse pain you may be facing.

It breaks my heart. 

I would call the office again (and again).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I feel so bad that this thread turned so nasty.  And all it was really about was the pain you're in and the worse pain you may be facing.

It breaks my heart. 

I did just call again and got another VM saying to leave a message for the doctor or nurse and they will respond "as soon as they read it."  Maybe they never read it yesterday. 

My daughter thinks I should call my GP and explain the situation to them.  Maybe she will give me an interim scrip.

Thank you for your kind words Lucky Charm.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

No call from the nurse yesterday.  Today's my last chance to get a scrip as they will probably be closed tomorrow. 

I will call them again.  This is getting scary, I only have a few pills left that I can perhaps stretch through the weekend if I take half doses.

You cannot drop in for the scrip? I would....

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It breaks my heart. 

There are a few people here who follow me around just to criticize me no matter what I post.  I have gotten used to it.

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

Ford, I am sorry this is happening. I know that doctors are getting extremely paranoid regarding ALL renewable scripts. I understand that you know your own body, your know what works for you. I do not judge, I understand Biologics are really nothing more "which is the lesser of two evils".

A new law was passed about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and doctors now have to 'justify' why a patient is on a med long term, and give a reason for why they should continue. (law not written like that, but it is how my Dr explained it).

My own Dr said he has had it up to his eyeballs with government/insurance (private or medicare) interferring with his doctoring. Every single thing he does (he feels) has paperwork to go with it that he is obligated to fill out and file. He is sick and tired of it, but if he does not comply, his license to practice gets "ding marks". Too many "non-compliant" ding marks, and they can yank his license.

I was shocked that Big Brother has gotten so deep into our now money-driven healthcare system. Doctors are actually going to "cash only" ways of practicing. I can see why. Drs want to treat and help patients, do what they love----be a DR!

So, I am not surprised your own doctor tossed you to a rheumie.  I hope you can get this new Dr to understand you CANNOT go into withdrawal and to at least get a script to get you to your appointment iun February! If he does not, then go back to your primary and tell them you have an appointment set up but you need interim help.

Stay strong. Even cutting your pills in half you may start to feel the withdrawal. It is not your mind that is "drug addicted". Your body now needs that med, like it or not. That does not make you a drug addict.

Stay strong, and keep dialing that number until they help you. (one or the other Dr.)

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Ford, I am sorry this is happening. I know that doctors are getting extremely paranoid regarding ALL renewable scripts. I understand that you know your own body, your know what works for you. I do not judge, I understand Biologics are really nothing more "which is the lesser of two evils".

A new law was passed about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and doctors now have to 'justify' why a patient is on a med long term, and give a reason for why they should continue. (law not written like that, but it is how my Dr explained it).

My own Dr said he has had it up to his eyeballs with government/insurance (private or medicare) interferring with his doctoring. Every single thing he does (he feels) has paperwork to go with it that he is obligated to fill out and file. He is sick and tired of it, but if he does not comply, his license to practice gets "ding marks". Too many "non-compliant" ding marks, and they can yank his license.

I was shocked that Big Brother has gotten so deep into our now money-driven healthcare system. Doctors are actually going to "cash only" ways of practicing. I can see why. Drs want to treat and help patients, do what they love----be a DR!

So, I am not surprised your own doctor tossed you to a rheumie.  I hope you can get this new Dr to understand you CANNOT go into withdrawal and to at least get a script to get you to your appointment iun February! If he does not, then go back to your primary and tell them you have an appointment set up but you need interim help.

Stay strong. Even cutting your pills in half you may start to feel the withdrawal. It is not your mind that is "drug addicted". Your body now needs that med, like it or not. That does not make you a drug addict.

Stay strong, and keep dialing that number until they help you. (one or the other Dr.)

A lot of folks don't know the difference between "addiction" and "dependence."  I try to explain it to them as insulin is to a diabetic.  A diabetic's body is "dependent" on that insulin, they are not "addicted" to insulin. 

That is why many meds have to be slowly "titrated" down to zero on a scheduled basis.  This is so with prednisone.  Short term it is usually "five up" and "five down."  But long term, the titration has to be much slower.

I will go to the ER if I am not able to connect with these doctors, as I don't think I want to experience an adrenal shutdown.

Your response is an eye opener.  Things are changing and surely not for the better.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

the reason why doctors and the government have to step in is because SO MANY AMERICANS are drug shopping with doctors and ABUSING the system

It is a GOOD thing.  And if I had this need and my pills would be running out, I would have gone down to the doctors office days ago.  

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It breaks my heart. 

I did just call again and got another VM saying to leave a message for the doctor or nurse and they will respond "as soon as they read it."  Maybe they never read it yesterday. 

My daughter thinks I should call my GP and explain the situation to them.  Maybe she will give me an interim scrip.

Thank you for your kind words Lucky Charm.

@LilacTree           YES .... please do that ASAP ........  they have to realize you cannot stop this abruptly, and even if they give you only a couple week's worth, it'll hold you over.    

Please do that now.    

Honored Contributor

If the OP resorts to an ER visit, I hope she reports here on the outcome of that ER visit.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all