Honored Contributor

Can a doctor refuse to prescribe a med . . .

. . . that he/she has prescribed for you many times before, simply because you have asked for a very small increase in dosage due to increasing pain?  I have been taking this med (prednisone) for RA for over ten years.

This is not a government-controlled "drug."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Can a doctor refuse to prescribe a med . . .

I would think that the dosage would be at the physician's discression.  A different doctor might prescribe an increased dose.

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know, but the doctor might be concerned about the reason behind asking for the increase in level of pain medication. They might be concerned that the reason that the patient is asking for the increase, is because they are addicted to it, and are "drug seeking".

I'm NOT saying that's the case here, just trying to figure out the possible reason why.

We are in a litigious society, and doctors always have to worry about being sued, unfortunately.

Honored Contributor

So what do you think increasing your prednisone will do to help your pain? Don't you think they make drugs by Rx only for a reason? Don't you think your doctor knows better than you what you need to be taking? Do you know about the horrible side effects people get from prednisone? 

Can a doctor refuse to prescribe a drug or a drug increase? OF COURSE. You are paying him a lot of money to advise you - why not listen to his advice? Are you aware this drug works by supressing your immune system? 

I have to take inhaled prednisone for my asthma and I certainly wish I didn't. I'm always begging the doctor to decrease it.

Valued Contributor

I don't think that the OP is drug seeking.  If the doc refused to increase dosage I hope that he/she explained why.  If not I would definely seek a second opinion since  communication with doctor is not what it should be.

Trusted Contributor

Did he just refuse to up the dose or refuse to refill your perscription??

Did he suggest anything else for pain?? 

I suppose he can refuse whatever he wants to, time for a more caring Dr.??

I know predisone is both a miracle and a curse,you must know how dangerous it is to just quit taking it,you have to slowly taper off it.

Esteemed Contributor

@LexPex wrote:

I don't think that the OP is drug seeking.  If the doc refused to increase dosage I hope that he/she explained why.  If not I would definely seek a second opinion since  communication with doctor is not what it should be.

I don't think that the o/p is drug seeking either. 

I was just trying to come up with an explination as to "why".

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I would think that the dosage would be at the physician's discression.  A different doctor might prescribe an increased dose.

I did go to a different doctor and this one wants me on biologics which will never happen. 

I have been on higher doses of prednisone than the one I asked for.  My records show it, I have been prescribed it for over ten years.  It's the only thing that works.  I am almost 78, why they would care at this point, I have no idea.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

Did he just refuse to up the dose or refuse to refill your perscription??

Did he suggest anything else for pain?? 

I suppose he can refuse whatever he wants to, time for a more caring Dr.??

I know predisone is both a miracle and a curse,you must know how dangerous it is to just quit taking it,you have to slowly taper off it.

Oh yes I do and that is what I am afraid of.  I could wind up in the ER if I can't stretch what I have left out enough.

Formerly Ford1224