Honored Contributor

Re: Cable bill skyrocking

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'd love to cut the cable cord, but I admit that I'm confused about how the whole "antenna" thing works.

I've seen those antennas that attach to the back of your tv, and they pull in local channels, but then one has to have internet to subscribe to a service like Hulu or Sling.

So, how much is internet + Hulu and/or Sling vs. cable + internet?

Subscription services do add up, especially if you are subscribed to more than one.

@Anonymous032819 

See message 80 for a sample breakdown.....

there's also a cord cutter calculator take out the first 2 numbers and enter your own costs

https://cordcutting.com/blog/cord-cutting-calculator/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

I cut the cable portion of my Verizon around 2008-09.  I was working long hours and streaming was available on computer so I would stay at the computer and watch programs available to stream.  Meanwhile, TV stopped working so that was when I cacelled cable and returned the box.  Never missed it, have no TV, use the computer for all "programming" I choose to watch.  Use Amazon Prime Video, Netflix & Hulu streams. Other things are available online with no stream charges. Saved lots of money not having cable!  My 2 yr contract was just up in March with Verizon.  Was able to re-negotiate and brought the price down below $95 for Fios digital voice unlimited & Fios Gigibit connection for the next 2 years. Very pleased!

And its $119 a year for Amazon Prime which includes Amazon Prime Video, right????

Let's add it all up---

Hulu-Hulu offers four levels of service: Basic ($5.99 per month), Premium ($11.99 per month), Basic + Live TV ($54.99 per month), and Premium + Live TV ($60.99 per month). Hulu Basic is ad-supported, while Premium is almost completely ad-free.Apr 8, 2020

Netflix--

How Much Is Netflix in 2020? (+Which Plan to Choose)

$95- Fios internet

$10- Amazon Prime Video (included $119 Amazon Prime)

$6 (Hulu basic)

$9 (Netflix basic)

Total-$120 month

With Premium Hulu and Standard Netflix 

Total= $130 month

With Premium Hulu and Premium Netflix =

Total = $133 month

Yes cheaper than what many cable systems charge.....

But for me the sports fan---Netflix doesnt offer sports, so Id have to go Hulu +Live for $55 a month, would have to Prime Video only offers Thursday Night Football.....so off to another streaming service with sports... That would mean Id have to add Sling Orange & Blue to get the NFL Red Zone Channel, PLUS $5 Hollywood extra package to get TCM....$35 a month to get my sports and TCM....

$95

$55 Hulu + live for sports 

$35 Sling + Hollywood Access

It would cost me $175 a month to get what I have now....thats discontinuing Amazon Prime altogether since they offer no sports....I pay $154 now....NO DEAL

Checked Xfinity not available in my area.....

This is what I mean...its all about personal preference and what you want to pay for....

See? That's exactly what I was getting at.

Services add up!

It's kinda like with Easy-Pay.

Sure, one Easy -Pay for a shirt, and an Easy -Pay for pants may not be so bad, but throw in Easy-Pay for shoes, and purse, and necklace, and earrings, and bracelets, and all of a sudden, before you know it, those "Easy-Pays" add up!

I see subscription services the same way.

Pay for internet.

Pay for one or more subscription service.

Pay for the upgrade.

All to see the channels and programs that you want to watch.

Before you know it, $ + $ + $ + $ = $$$.

So, I just have to question just how much money I actually would be saving by cutting the cable cord.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Spurt Woman Wink  Lots of choices for everyone!

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

Just got my cable bill from Spectrum.  It went up over $10.00 a month!  I called customer service and was told it was an across the board increase and some states went up over $30.00.   I kind of lost it and told them what great timing they had, increasing everyone's bill when so many people getting laid off and we have nothing to do except stay home and watch TV.  Said thank you so much and hung up.  I was afraid to say anything else...might regret it.  Wish I could report them for price gouging.

Oh wow, I  have spectrum I will be on the look out for this.  Why would anyone go up on anything at this time.  They should be offering a couple months for free.  Just shaking my head.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have Five TVs in different rooms.  I have Comcast basic cable...no HBO etc.  I have three HD set boxes on rental...and .two small set boxes not HD on rental.  No phone no internet. I pay $160 a month.  It seems to go up every month. I have been with them now for 30 years....never have called them, or had to have any service.  I hate calling to complain or beg for a deal. Rather just pay the bill.  I guess I am THAT customer they love.

The one that they step all over.

@SeaMaiden

JMO, when things get back to the new normal call

Comcast, and ask about changing your cable modem and wireless router. You need a truck roll. 

@Nuttmeg     Could you explain a bit more what you mean by "truck Roll"? 

Please have a tech come to your house. This is what a truck roll means. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:
What a racket.

DH and I had enough when we got "the letter" from Spectrum in January, 2018. Every TV was going to require a set-top box, plus price increases and program drops--unless we went to a higher tier, of course.

We were waiting for the straw, and that was it. We'd always had only the cable coming up from the floor, attaching to the TV, and no way was I going to have a box for each TV, not to mention the obscene price increases.

Interestingly, we heard of a Spectrum worker who remarked to a co-worker (about someone who cut the cord), "He'll come crawling back." Well, we sure haven't done that, but we get at least three mail offers per week from Spectrum lol.

@Moonlady  We have Optimum and used to do the same you did with the wire. Then we had to get a box for every TV set and pay for each one. If you wanted the dvd with it you had to pay even more. 

We have no dvd and gave one of the boxes back. We have three TVs and if we want to use the big one in the basement we just grab one of the ones upstairs. Big pain. And for all this we pay about 240.00 a month. Cable phone and internet. Rip off. And pay for channels we don't even want.

@proudlyfromNJ   Our comcast bill has now risen to $180 for tv and internet, five boxes, and the basic package..  I have dvd players in several rooms without a comcast box for that specifically.  I watch less than fifteen channels, argued this with someone at comcast, kept telling me I get over 250 channels, which I do not watch, wanted only channels I watch, but that wasn't going to happen.  I am told the greatest expense is the internet.

LOL, your largest expense is all those basic cable boxes

and cable modem / router.

Please talk to the tech guys that hang out at Dslreports.com, the  Comcast forum about cutting your costs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove

I watch TV on my set, but Netflix, Hulu and etc are very nice on a tablet, or smartphone with an app. The Fire HD 10  tablet does a great job with video. You can install the Google Play store  with a slight change in the OS. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@ScarletDove

I watch TV on my set, but Netflix, Hulu and etc are very nice on a tablet, or smartphone with an app. The Fire HD 10  tablet does a great job with video. You can install the Google Play store  with a slight change in the OS. 

@Nuttmeg  Thanks for the tips...I have the Fire HD 8 and I'll give it a try....