Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@Spurt 

LOL Those are digital goods and streaming platforms. Certainly, consumers are going to incur taxes and fees on a revolving basis.

The point, however, is that consumers not only lose the monthly cable (or Direct TV) bill, but also that those multiple fees and taxes end when one "cuts the cord."

Like many others, we're not glued to the TV, and so we only have antennas. Therefore, we're not paying a monthly cable bill, along with outrageous fees and taxes. And there's no law anywhere, now, nor will there be in the future, which imposes them on those who don't use those services. 

Your big admonition that, although cord cutters realize savings on fees and taxes, some states are imposing them on "cordless" products is disingenuous.

OTA TV is free TV. Period.

@Moonlady 

Yes, you are lucky you can use antennas....many people can't because of where towers in their area are located! 

Have a great day! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I'd love to cut the cable cord, but I admit that I'm confused about how the whole "antenna" thing works.

I've seen those antennas that attach to the back of your tv, and they pull in local channels, but then one has to have internet to subscribe to a service like Hulu or Sling.

So, how much is internet + Hulu and/or Sling vs. cable + internet?

Subscription services do add up, especially if you are subscribed to more than one.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have Five TVs in different rooms.  I have Comcast basic cable...no HBO etc.  I have three HD set boxes on rental...and .two small set boxes not HD on rental.  No phone no internet. I pay $160 a month.  It seems to go up every month. I have been with them now for 30 years....never have called them, or had to have any service.  I hate calling to complain or beg for a deal. Rather just pay the bill.  I guess I am THAT customer they love.

The one that they step all over.

@SeaMaiden

JMO, when things get back to the new normal call

Comcast, and ask about changing your cable modem and wireless router. You need a truck roll. 

@Nuttmeg     Could you explain a bit more what you mean by "truck Roll"? 

Valued Contributor

My bill was $110 last month, is $111 this month. I think whenever someone needs to add a tax or fee, they add it to cable. I pay $146 for Net and TV. I need Net for my job and they don't pay for it. I don't itemize on taxes so can't write it off.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:
What a racket.

DH and I had enough when we got "the letter" from Spectrum in January, 2018. Every TV was going to require a set-top box, plus price increases and program drops--unless we went to a higher tier, of course.

We were waiting for the straw, and that was it. We'd always had only the cable coming up from the floor, attaching to the TV, and no way was I going to have a box for each TV, not to mention the obscene price increases.

Interestingly, we heard of a Spectrum worker who remarked to a co-worker (about someone who cut the cord), "He'll come crawling back." Well, we sure haven't done that, but we get at least three mail offers per week from Spectrum lol.

@Moonlady  We have Optimum and used to do the same you did with the wire. Then we had to get a box for every TV set and pay for each one. If you wanted the dvd with it you had to pay even more. 

We have no dvd and gave one of the boxes back. We have three TVs and if we want to use the big one in the basement we just grab one of the ones upstairs. Big pain. And for all this we pay about 240.00 a month. Cable phone and internet. Rip off. And pay for channels we don't even want.

@proudlyfromNJ   Our comcast bill has now risen to $180 for tv and internet, five boxes, and the basic package..  I have dvd players in several rooms without a comcast box for that specifically.  I watch less than fifteen channels, argued this with someone at comcast, kept telling me I get over 250 channels, which I do not watch, wanted only channels I watch, but that wasn't going to happen.  I am told the greatest expense is the internet.

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

@september wrote:

Cable/internet has always been a bigger part of my monthly bills.  Had Comcast when I lived on the West coast, and have them once again in my newer location on the East  coast.  

when I think about how often I use these services, I consider it money well spent 

Same. I renegotiated my services with my cable provider last fall.  It wasn't a fun experience but I managed a significant monthly savings monthly as a result.  It also depends, like you stated, degree of importance, usage to each person.  I made a few concessions when negotiating but walked away with much of what I already had.  

@BeautyLver   We have done this, but it runs out after a year, so we have to go through the torture all over again, so have given up.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonlady wrote:
What a racket.

DH and I had enough when we got "the letter" from Spectrum in January, 2018. Every TV was going to require a set-top box, plus price increases and program drops--unless we went to a higher tier, of course.

We were waiting for the straw, and that was it. We'd always had only the cable coming up from the floor, attaching to the TV, and no way was I going to have a box for each TV, not to mention the obscene price increases.

Interestingly, we heard of a Spectrum worker who remarked to a co-worker (about someone who cut the cord), "He'll come crawling back." Well, we sure haven't done that, but we get at least three mail offers per week from Spectrum lol.

@Moonlady 

I'm glad that cord cutting is working for you, but it doesn't work for everyone... 

It all depends on what channels a person likes to watch and what you are willing to sacrifice to lower your costs....

High speed internet is required (the cost goes up when you unbundle the deal) and there might be problems with internet connectivity and buffering. Packages like Sling already are increasing prices which are now $30/$45 a month then they will $10 you to death to include a favorite channel that's not included in basic packages. And you may have to wait before live TV shows are broadcast on a streaming service..... You may need to purchase an antenna to get your local broadcast networks.

Now Im a sports fan and also love to watch TCM which is always separate costs and separate tiers with these cableless services...To get what I wanted would have cost me $35 MORE a month....Ill stick with cable....Of course my cable system promises to ALWAYS be lower than Spectrum and also provide better service which they have done Smiley Happy  I pay $154 a month and its worth it!!! 

Oh one more thing---- one area where cord cutters receive savings is that state and federal taxes, municipality and other local surcharges/fees are not charged like they do with cable ....BUT your legislatures are looking for ways to tack these things on to cordless services, some city/states have already done this..And of course these cordless services are slowly starting to raise their prices too...

@Spurt   Do you get the Movies channel?  If so, they run the same movies, eventually, that TMC does, and is included in the comcast basic package, also START tv with movies and no commercials.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cable bill skyrocking

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Spurt   Do you get the Movies channel?  If so, they run the same movies, eventually, that TMC does, and is included in the comcast basic package, also START tv with movies and no commercials.

@mousiegirl 

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it Smiley Happy ...........

I dont have Comcast nor Spectrum we have

TPG Communications, its a maverick cable company that went into certain areas our city, in the past they mostly provided telecommunications for businesses... we've been happy with their services........

Mostly, I like the movies from the 30's and 40's and little unknown "gems" with unknown actors but great plots and good acting...I dont know why, Im not from that era, Im in a generation from a younger age group...Im weird I guess....

Now Start is only available through antenna here....

We do get The Movies Channel, once in awhile they might have a good movie, but its not quite the same as TCM....There's quite a few other (non-premium) movie channels--AMC, Bravo, Escape TV, IndiePlex, MoviePlex, RetroPlex, Sundance TV, Grit, Independent Film Channel, Paramount,  but its mostly modern movies that Ive seen or don't care to watch again, or I didnt want to see the first time around ... LOL 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cut the cable portion of my Verizon around 2008-09.  I was working long hours and streaming was available on computer so I would stay at the computer and watch programs available to stream.  Meanwhile, TV stopped working so that was when I cacelled cable and returned the box.  Never missed it, have no TV, use the computer for all "programming" I choose to watch.  Use Amazon Prime Video, Netflix & Hulu streams. Other things are available online with no stream charges. Saved lots of money not having cable!  My 2 yr contract was just up in March with Verizon.  Was able to re-negotiate and brought the price down below $95 for Fios digital voice unlimited & Fios Gigibit connection for the next 2 years. I have been a customer with Verizon since 1964 when it was Bell, then Bell Atlantic, then merged with GTE & became Verizon. Very pleased!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScarletDove wrote:

I cut the cable portion of my Verizon around 2008-09.  I was working long hours and streaming was available on computer so I would stay at the computer and watch programs available to stream.  Meanwhile, TV stopped working so that was when I cacelled cable and returned the box.  Never missed it, have no TV, use the computer for all "programming" I choose to watch.  Use Amazon Prime Video, Netflix & Hulu streams. Other things are available online with no stream charges. Saved lots of money not having cable!  My 2 yr contract was just up in March with Verizon.  Was able to re-negotiate and brought the price down below $95 for Fios digital voice unlimited & Fios Gigibit connection for the next 2 years. Very pleased!

And its $119 a year for Amazon Prime which includes Amazon Prime Video, right????

Let's add it all up---

Hulu-Hulu offers four levels of service: Basic ($5.99 per month), Premium ($11.99 per month), Basic + Live TV ($54.99 per month), and Premium + Live TV ($60.99 per month). Hulu Basic is ad-supported, while Premium is almost completely ad-free.Apr 8, 2020

Netflix--

How Much Is Netflix in 2020? (+Which Plan to Choose)

$95- Fios internet

$10- Amazon Prime Video (included $119 Amazon Prime)

$6 (Hulu basic)

$9 (Netflix basic)

Total-$120 month

With Premium Hulu and Standard Netflix 

Total= $130 month

With Premium Hulu and Premium Netflix =

Total = $133 month

Yes cheaper than what many cable systems charge.....

But for me the sports fan---Netflix doesnt offer sports, so Id have to go Hulu +Live for $55 a month, would have to Prime Video only offers Thursday Night Football.....so off to another streaming service with sports... That would mean Id have to add Sling Orange & Blue to get the NFL Red Zone Channel, PLUS $5 Hollywood extra package to get TCM....$35 a month to get my sports and TCM....

$95

$55 Hulu + live for sports 

$35 Sling + Hollywood Access + local channel access

It would cost me $175 a month to get what I have now....thats discontinuing Amazon Prime altogether since they offer no sports....I pay $154 now....NO DEAL

Checked Xfinity not available in my area.....

This is what I mean...its all about personal preference and what you want to pay for....