Honored Contributor

Re: COnsumer Reports Grocery Store survey

@sunala wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I found the complete list of grocery stores rated by Consumer Reports, from the top at 1 to the bottom at 68.  This was the 2015 report, I can't find a report after that except for a short comment that Wegman's is number 1 again this year.

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

Now what I'd like to see is a market basket of the same items comparing prices in all of these stores.  I know Wegman's and Trader Joe's are very high.  I'm not familiar with prices in the others. 

Did I misunderstand you @Kachina624 ?

Trader Joe's is NOT high priced, it's lower than major grocery stores.

@Noel7- I was going to post the same thing! I think Trader Joe's is one of the least expensive food stores. I don't think I've ever picked up an item and said, "Oh no, this is way too expensive!" If anything, I'll look at the price and buy two or three because the prices are so reasonable.

Love my TJ's!

That's often what I do too. In the city I was surrounded by TJ's but now I kind of stock up because it's an hour round trip.

Not a new item, but I just tried the soft-baked snickerdoodles - I'll be buying more!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

All the Jewel stores in my area are very clean and they have a wide selection of grocery items plus a pharmacy is inside the grocery store. They also have a large deli.  I think they could improve on their deli salads offered.  We also have a store called Marianos.  Well they have everything you can drink wine and do your shopping if you like.  There was a big hype about this store but several months ago I purchased some cookies in the Bakery section.  The cookies were so stale they were gross.  I tossed them out because I did not feel like driving back.  So instead of replacing bakery items after a certian period, no they sell stale bakery goods.  I have not been in Whole Foods since Amazon purchased it but they were always clean but expensive.  THis is for the Chicagoland area.  Hot as you know what today!  Close to 90 and tomorrow too.  Yuck!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Oh..I just got the new Trader Joe's flyer today....lots of great new foods to try.  One of the new ones...I did pick up last week.  It's the corn salsa.  So good!

I'm heading out of town soon so won't be going back to buy any of the other new items until maybe later next week. 

Honored Contributor

@september

I went through it yesterday, too, and ended up with a new list 🙂

They also have a section for new items from the last couple of months which produced an even longer list.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I found the complete list of grocery stores rated by Consumer Reports, from the top at 1 to the bottom at 68.  This was the 2015 report, I can't find a report after that except for a short comment that Wegman's is number 1 again this year.

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

Now what I'd like to see is a market basket of the same items comparing prices in all of these stores.  I know Wegman's and Trader Joe's are very high.  I'm not familiar with prices in the others. 

@Noel7- I was going to post the same thing! I think Trader Joe's is one of the least expensive food stores. I don't think I've ever picked up an item and said, "Oh no, this is way too expensive!" If anything, I'll look at the price and buy two or three because the prices are so reasonable.

Love my TJ's!

That's often what I do too. In the city I was surrounded by TJ's but now I kind of stock up because it's an hour round trip.

Not a new item, but I just tried the soft-baked snickerdoodles - I'll be buying more!

@sunala

@Moonchilde

DH likes their fairly new "Dunkers".  Like biscotti with little chocolate chips, not too sweet or too hard.  I confess to being a dunker since I was a kid, even toast.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@september

I went through it yesterday, too, and ended up with a new list 🙂

They also have a section for new items from the last couple of months which produced an even longer list.

@Noel7  If you and some other posters shop for some of the new items in the next week, and start a thread about your purchases...I'd be looking for that for my next shopping trip. 

Some things I might like:  organic purple maize flakes, spatchcocked chicken, cauliflower crust pizza, and maybe one or two other things....just whizzed through the latest flyer.  

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

COnsumer Reports has released the results of their survey on grocery stores.  50,000 responses were received.  Responders were asked to rate stores on things like quality,of produce, meat, organic choices, store cleanliness, check out process, availability of items.  HEre are the ten worst rated in order starting with the worst.

1.  Wal-Mart Super Center

2.  TOps Friendly Markets

3.  Shaw's

4.  Stop N Shop

5.  Acme

6.  Safeway

7.  PIck N Save

8.  Jewel Osco

9.  GIant

10. Martin's

Is your store on the Wall of Shame?

Ha! No wonder I never shop there!!!

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

@Noel7 wrote:

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

Ha ! Again, no wonder I shop there!!!! And also my local Shoprite and Costco.

Honored Contributor

DD borrowed my list for ideas, I'll track it down tomorrow. Oh, one I do remember was pelmeni, probably in the freezer section.  I used to love them, they served them in little Russian restaurants in the Richmond district.

Little stuffed dumplings served hot in a broth with a dollop of sour cream. Delicious, I want to introduce my daughter to them.

@september

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Walmart was at 67.

The top three were:

1. Wegman's

2. Publix

3. Trader Joe's

Love my TJ's!

@sunala

@Moonchilde

DH likes their fairly new "Dunkers".  Like biscotti with little chocolate chips, not too sweet or too hard.  I confess to being a dunker since I was a kid, even toast.  

Those are good with coffee :-)

I also love their frozen chocolate eclairs - better than the local markets.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all