Honored Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS SHOPPING FOR WHAT IS ASKED FOR!

I  MUCH prefer having a guideline as to what someone wants/would enjoy. I have never had so much money that I didn't care that it might well be "wasted" on a gift the person had no liking or use for. I have never had money to flush.

I now have no hesitation in buying gift cards for those who do not or pointedly refuse to give suggestions, or for kids who have everything already. I am no longer going from b&m store to store, mall to mall, etc. on a "hunt" for something physically. 

I am happy to receive gift cards for favorite stores, and for spa services like nails, facials, massages, etc. I too would love a car wash gift card! A yearly membership to an attraction I love or a GC to a favorite restaurant.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I would much rather recieve something I love!  I also want to give things that the others will love getting.

Apparently, I don't do badly.  I do see the clothing, jewelry, whatever being used a lot.  I know the colors they love as well as don't and listen closely to problems they have and try to find a fantastic solution.  If I get stuck, I'll ask a spouse.

We usually have a lot of tears at Christmas because they're so touched.

Honored Contributor

Our family has wish lists on Amazon. So we can buy what someone wants but they won't know what we are buying. Works great.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My family doesn't do gift giving anymore for Xmas. My "kids" are adults who can get for themselves whatever they want, whenever they want. And my hubs and I certainly don't need anything at all.  No grand kids to spoil and we stopped with the gifts for the extended families years ago, by mutual agreement. And I don't miss it at all!!!! We do a meal on Xmas Day after we go to a movie in the morning and we visit. Thats it. No hoopla or craziness.

@wagirl

I was shying away from posting my thoughts until you validated them!  I think gift-giving is for children and even then all the children in my life have an over-abundance of everything.  

To trade gift-giving lists simply doesn't appeal to me.  Wouldn't it be easier to just go out and purchase the things we love and want and skip the exchange?  And too, we just moved and parted with probably 75% of our belongings.  I am extremely picky about my home, designed it just the way I want it and selfishly don't want anyone else's idea of a great tchotchke cluttering up my space.  I know that sounds harsh and ungrateful, but it is my truth.  

To me a great gift would be a bottle of good vodka, a jar of jalapeno or blue cheese stuffed olives, a gift certificate to a new restaurant (doesn't need to be fancy) or even the coffee spot down the street.

Respected Contributor

My family hasn't done any real gift-giving in years. We still have a great time!

Honored Contributor

Love shopping from a wish list so I know I'm giving what is wanted. If no list, it's a gift card or money.  QVC has taken a rather hypocritical stance on Christmas so I won't be ordering from them this year.

Honored Contributor

magic--well said and I am in total agreement with you!!!!!