Trusted Contributor

CHRISTMAS SHOPPING FOR WHAT IS ASKED FOR!

How do you feel about people on your Christmas Shopping list giving you a wish list of what they would like and then giving them what they like and want!!  I know some people don't like doing that because they think gifts should be a surprise!!  I just feel my money will not be wasted or my gifts returned if they don't like my choice!!  Children have always asked Santa for exactly what they want!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS SHOPPING FOR WHAT IS ASKED FOR!

Not a fan.

If I have to tell somebody what I would like, I can just go by it myself. 

I understand the theory behind it, but to me a gift is something I pick out for the person.  There should be some element of surprise.  LOL

I place no expectations on the recipient to keep my gift.  They are perfectly free to return or exchange it.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's great when others share a wish list with you. Others in my family still (to this day) ask me for a wish list every year. Makes everybody happy.

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

How do you feel about people on your Christmas Shopping list giving you a wish list of what they would like and then giving them what they like and want!!  I know some people don't like doing that because they think gifts should be a surprise!!  I just feel my money will not be wasted or my gifts returned if they don't like my choice!!  Children have always asked Santa for exactly what they want!!Woman Wink

I enjoy giving gifts that someone actually wants and will use.  

Honored Contributor

I don't mind as long as it is within my budget and not a nightmare to get.  I understand kids want what they want.

I still like to pick my own gifts though.  To me, the very fact that someone thought of you and spent their time and money to pick something they thought you might enjoy, is the real gift that is being given and should be appreciated no matter what.  

Honored Contributor

Since the gift is for them and not for me, I would appreciate knowing what they would like. That being said ,if I ask you what you want and you don't tell me, I'll just have to do my best.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

i like it......it gives me a great starting point.

my kids do it every year. one year my daughter even made her list into a powerpoint presentation with christmas music and christmas photos. lol.....very creative i must say.

i do give them a combination of items on their list AND items i have found especially for them. their lists are also good to pass along to their dad AND to my mom, brother, and sister

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I think giving the person something that they want (if it is within your spending limits) is fine.  

Most teenagers these days the one's I know, neices and nephews, and my friends who have children.  They "ALL" want "Gift Cards".  

To be honest it can not be easier.  For even if you have a limit, a gift card works.  You just have to ask them, for what stores do they wish to have gift cards.

Believe it or not "Collage Students" want Starbucks, and Chipotle. 

Respected Contributor

Has to do with what is acceptable in that circle of gift-givers. For example, this is the norm in my family.  We all exchange gift lists.  But, no one should give a list to anyone unless he is asked for it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I don't mind lists, at least you know you will get them something that they really want. I always tell my daughters to put down things they normally would not buy for themselves, then it is more special.....I also think its a good idea if the person is really picky or has everything. There was a time in my family when we did not do lists and it worked out, because everyone knew each other so well.......