Occasional Contributor

A good friend of mine was supposed to get married this coming Saturday.  She just cancelled the wedding.  Her fiance chickened out and does not want to get married. She had her dress, beautiful venue, food, etc. all planned.  No refunds.  Know anyone that has happened to?  I knew one other person but the wedding was cancelled months before the wedding not a few days before.  By the way, I'm not new to the forum.  I had to re-register for some reason.  

Respected Contributor

Wow - so sad for her - but you know, if he acted this way before the wedding - it was probably for the best - who knows how he would have treated her after the marriage!  She should go ahead with the celebration - have her bridesmaids throw paint on her dress, dance, sing and have a ball!  What a better party with all your friends?

Honored Contributor

Wow, what a lousy thing to happen.  So sorry for your friend.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: CANCELLED WEDDING

[ Edited ]

Oh that's sad!! Hope she gets him to pay for the expenses!

Honored Contributor

She needs to go through with her new found single-hood and celebrate with her friends and family at the venue. She has nothing to be ashamed of.  Thanks gawd she found out now instead of months or years later!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Spinach2  Yes, I know someone.   I used to spend a lot of time with a man whom I suspected was gay.  I also suspected he was in denial about it, but he seemed to hang out only with women who were "safe"  (i.e. I am much older than he is, and he hung out with a married woman also we worked with).  This is not by any means the only reason I thought he was probably gay - there were many reasons.  

Well, he started dating a very nice young woman and got engaged to her, much to my surprise.  I was invited to the wedding.  About a week before it, he called me (he called the list of his invitees and she called her list) to tell me his fiancee had called off the wedding.   I thought "that was one of the best decisions she'll ever make."     My friend remains unmarried and this wedding would have taken place maybe 15 yrs. ago.   I hope he has also come to gripes with some things about himself, but we aren't in touch any more other than occasionally running into each other at a supermarket.

Honored Contributor

Cheaper than a divorce later but that doesn't take away the immediate heartbreak.

Honored Contributor

What was your previous nic?

hnj

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

What was your previous nic?

hnj

Spinach - LOL

Esteemed Contributor

It happened to my friend's daughter.  Cancelled about 1-2 weeks before the EXTRAVAGANT wedding and the bride was pregnant.  Eventually got back together and married after the baby was born. Not long afterward they divorced. OY!