Honored Contributor
Thanks.
Esteemed Contributor

Is the gift of a crystal dish less personal if it is paid for by a friend and delivered from Macy's? I think not. It is still a personal gift from the giver! Macy's just wraps and delivers for you. Very convenient.

P.S. Original OP, were you invited to my Grandson's wedding....sounds like it!

Honored Contributor
On 12/28/2014 muttmom said:
On 12/28/2014 happy housewife said:

It is difficult for us older ladies to understand how brides think these days. When I was married back in 1969 a normal shower gift was a set of t towels and pot holders, a blanket or a set of sheets. A normal wedding gift was a small appliance like a toaster or coffee pot or from someone very close something like a setting of your registered china. Now a days those wedding gifts are only for shower gifts and only cash is to be given as a wedding gift. How sad for the brides - I still really treasure the beautiful sterling and crystal dishes and vases I was given as a wedding gift. It's a shame young brides don't get the beautiful lifetime treasures we got.

It is no more difficult for us older women to wrap our brains around how brides think today then it was for our older relatives to understand why they should buy us a silver teaspoon when they could buy a whole set stainless for less.

Back in the early 1970's most of our wedding gifts were cash. Shower gifts were small appliances, pots & pans, sheets, towels, etc.

You worry far too much about how others spend their money and their personal wants and needs. Ironic coming from a person whose husband bought her a new Jaguar for Christmas.

My FIRST husband bought me a jaguar for Christmas in 1979 and if you had not creatively edited that information for drama I also said it was registered to his company and when he died on Feb 14th I lost it to the closure of that company. How pathetic is it that you have nothing else to do but go through old , old posts to look up and then creatively edit post to try to dramatize some moot point so you can try to start a fight.Truly pathetic person. The thread that was on was about getting a car for Christmas.

Trusted Contributor

I've encountered this problem a few times, where all of the gifts on the registry were pricey or where all the moderately-priced items had already been purchased and only the high-end ones were left. In such a case, I always feel free to give a check or a gift certificate for the store where the couple is registered in the amount that I wish to give......or I use the registry list as a guide to colors and style and try to give a useful gift that will fit in with their listed choices (bar or kitchen gear, kitchen or bath linens, a vase or basket, etc. that just about anyone could use. I can't think of any wedding couples I'd give a $350 set of knives or a $400 set of cookware. Nice try, though!

{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Trusted Contributor

I like bridal registries. When I attend a shower, more often than not I give a gift card to the store where the bride is registered. As for expensive gifts, sometimes a group of friends, work colleagues, or even aunts will go in together and buy 1 major gift as opposed to a bunch of little things.

I cannot remember the last time we gave anything other than money as a wedding gift. Silver frames, crystal vases are the kinds of things we give as engagement gifts.

Honored Contributor
On 12/28/2014 abbeythe8th said:

I like bridal registries. When I attend a shower, more often than not I give a gift card to the store where the bride is registered. As for expensive gifts, sometimes a group of friends, work colleagues, or even aunts will go in together and buy 1 major gift as opposed to a bunch of little things.

I cannot remember the last time we gave anything other than money as a wedding gift. Silver frames, crystal vases are the kinds of things we give as engagement gifts.

That's how I feel too...

Esteemed Contributor

Just give money in the amount you can afford and in a way you like to give. No one is obligated to purchase just from the registry.

I know what you mean about the expense of the items ask for - I've had brides to be want the most costly items with absolutely no idea why they want them or what they will do with them. They just ask because it costs a lot and want to seem sophisticated in some delusional way. Let's me know how long the marriage will last.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor
I agree with many. A gift card to the store where she is registered. Tape it to a small cutting board or something and wrap it up.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Give only, what you can afford.