Honored Contributor

It is difficult for us older ladies to understand how brides think these days. When I was married back in 1969 a normal shower gift was a set of t towels and pot holders, a blanket or a set of sheets. A normal wedding gift was a small appliance like a toaster or coffee pot or from someone very close something like a setting of your registered china. Now a days those wedding gifts are only for shower gifts and only cash is to be given as a wedding gift. How sad for the brides - I still really treasure the beautiful sterling and crystal dishes and vases I was given as a wedding gift. It's a shame young brides don't get the beautiful lifetime treasures we got.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been to 3 weddings this past year. There were some expensive items on their list, but a lot of reasonable ones too. Also stores like Macy's & Target so there are choices there too. I don't attend weddings unless they are close relatives or very close friends. I always send a check or gift card anyway.

Super Contributor
On 12/28/2014 happy housewife said:

It is difficult for us older ladies to understand how brides think these days. When I was married back in 1969 a normal shower gift was a set of t towels and pot holders, a blanket or a set of sheets. A normal wedding gift was a small appliance like a toaster or coffee pot or from someone very close something like a setting of your registered china. Now a days those wedding gifts are only for shower gifts and only cash is to be given as a wedding gift. How sad for the brides - I still really treasure the beautiful sterling and crystal dishes and vases I was given as a wedding gift. It's a shame young brides don't get the beautiful lifetime treasures we got.

I was married in the early 80's but it was still as you describe amongst my friends and family. And sometimes that quirky gift that you don't think you will like (and would never pick for yourself) turns out to be a treasured keepsake. Not that it matters, or should, but traditional etiquette precludes one from even assuming that gifts are coming let alone specifying what you want (I know things have changed and etiquette experts now say it's OK to have a registry but it still makes me cringe). Duplicates of what you have can always be returned. And more and more people seem to be giving cash so there's no problem.

Respected Contributor
On 12/28/2014 happy housewife said:

It is no more difficult for us older women to wrap our brains around how brides think today then it was for our older relatives to understand why they should buy us a silver teaspoon when they could buy a whole set stainless for less.

Back in the early 1970's most of our wedding gifts were cash. Shower gifts were small appliances, pots & pans, sheets, towels, etc.

You worry far too much about how others spend their money and their personal wants and needs. Ironic coming from a person whose husband bought her a new Jaguar for Christmas.

Honored Contributor

I agree, the list should include affordable items, also. I think the big ticket items are suggestions for those who will spend a large amount of money, usually close relatives.

I see that more and more couples are registering at more than one place lately and that includes Target.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
A Jaguar?
Respected Contributor
On 12/28/2014 brii said: A Jaguar?
LOL I was hoping for some clarification on that, too.
Honored Contributor
Lol
Respected Contributor
On 12/28/2014 VanSleepy said:
On 12/28/2014 brii said: A Jaguar?
LOL I was hoping for some clarification on that, too.

She posted on the thread about new cars as Christmas gifts that her first husband bought her a Jaguar for Christmas one year.

Respected Contributor
Thanks, muttmom.