Honored Contributor

One of my sons wore shorts year-around until he was 19.  He was always hot, no matter how cold it is, even when he was little.  It all changed after he returned from his first deployment (Iraq) in a hot July and thought it was cold here.  

Trusted Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Reading these posts has made me turn on my space heater.  They've been saying on the news how only a few minutes in the cold with exposed skin can cause frostbite.  Doctors are saying they see it every year.  Now THAT would scare me.

Also, for those who drive to the gym (or wherever) with no coat or proper footwear, and wearing shorts........what happens it you have a car accident or breakdown before you get there?

@cherry@mimomof4@traveler@nova@BirkiLady

I'm only hoping these kids were doing what I did in college.  Wear coat, hat, gloves in car and take them off and leave in car when you get to your destination .  It doesn't make sense to me these days.

Honored Contributor

D3E6848B-F249-42F1-8DBE-D876E927B156.jpeg

Respected Contributor

We're in Northern Wisconsin on a lake. It will be 31 below here tonight with wind chills of 55 below. We have to keep the water trickling so the pipes don't burst. Yesterday the dishwasher was frozen up and the shower wouldn't drain. I'm sure it will be the same today. When we built the house, they said they put the pipes plenty deep so they wouldnt freeze. (A lot "they" know.) We used heaters yesterday to get the dishwasher thawed. The shower finally drained on its own. All schools are closed in the area, which is something new just for cold weather. Even the furnace can't keep up, so we have the fireplaces going too. (I wanted gas fireplaces. DH wanted wood-burning. He won because he agreed to clean them.) I'm just snuggling up with a good book today after putting a burgundy beef roast in the crockpot.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Frequent Contributor

It is -31 here this morning and I am enjoying my hot flashes today. And -50 wind chill.

Honored Contributor

We are heading out to a Sherpa restaurant. My husbands chiro ,told us how wonderful it is. Not exactly Indian, but very close

It looks beautiful outside, but ,it is cold ,and the cold really bites

Respected Contributor

Re: Braving the cold

[ Edited ]

@catsgalore5354 wrote:

It is -31 here this morning and I am enjoying my hot flashes today. And -50 wind chill.

@catsgalore5354 LOL! I am very hot-natured too, so that should help me. Even my cat was cold this morning. She is lying right in front of the fireplace. Stay warm!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Watching a tutorial on crocheting a temperature blanket.  You get the yarn to match the temperature for each day and make one for a year.  It would be neat to do, for your kids, or a family member.  My mother-in-law did granny square blankets for all her grandkids when she was here.  It's interesting, not sure if I'll do it, but it's interesting.

For here, I'm sure this month would have a lot of blue!!! 

Honored Contributor

We are 16 below and a minus 34 windchill. Many people have it worse. I don't care for this ,but I am thankful, we are not as bad off  ,as some poor people are

Warmer days are coming. Hang on everyone

Honored Contributor

It is 8 degrees here in my rural corner of southern West Virginia, and sunny.   

And of all days, we are having a new heat pump installed!   Our outside unit died last Friday, but we still had our emergency heat feature, plus our wood stove in the basement.