Trusted Contributor

I dress for the weather and avoid chilling temps if at all possible.

I was at a high school Friday night, the temps were in the teens.  The high schoolers coming in for the basketball game were dressed for summer - shorts, short sleeve shirts, etc.  Apparently the colder the temps outside, the more they dressed for warm weather (I didn't get it).  They were running into the building as fast as they could.  LOL

Respected Contributor

Reading these posts has made me turn on my space heater.  They've been saying on the news how only a few minutes in the cold with exposed skin can cause frostbite.  Doctors are saying they see it every year.  Now THAT would scare me.

Also, for those who drive to the gym (or wherever) with no coat or proper footwear, and wearing shorts........what happens it you have a car accident or breakdown before you get there?

@cherry@mimomof4@traveler@nova@BirkiLady

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  I don't have a clue what happens. I belong to the coat, hat, and gloves club

I am betting the ER's , are going to see, quite a few frost bite victims

Regular Contributor

Re: Braving the cold

[ Edited ]

they will be hoping they dont get frost bite! i dont see why people dont just dress for the weather instead of dressing this way. its like they dont want to give in to being cold or to admit they are cold! or they dont own a coat or gloves!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Honored Contributor

Our stylist just called to cancel Mr Chery's haircut. She said all of her clients have cancelled, and her children won't be having any school tomorrow, because of the dangerous cold

Esteemed Contributor

At the college campus where I work -- students walk around in shorts, but shoes. Many no coats, or vests. I think they work out and try to limit clothing changes throughout the day. Less to pack? But they don't seem to mind. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

They said tonight ,this is the coldest we have been ,in 25 years

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Braving the cold

[ Edited ]

@cherry@mimomof4@traveler@nova @2blonde 

USPS has just canceled all mail delivery in Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota for tomorrow due the the bitter cold weather. That's a first if I remember correctly.

Frankly, I'm happy for those carriers. Some still walk their routes in the older parts of Lincoln. Those who drive in the little trucks do not have heaters in them. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I guess I am a wimp. I keep seeing people running around in shirt sleeves ,out side. It is 14 right now ,and while we were bundled up ,on our walk around the hospital, some guy sauntered past us, in cords and a sweat shirt, and shoes. THere is 7 inches of snow, at least ,on the ground.

I would be so afraid to run around like that. Sat night at mass some lady was wearing flip flops and no coat. I know I am old, bu,t I didn't so this stuff when I was young

I have to say we did do this stuff when I was young. When I was in my teens and 20s we'd go out with no coat. Usually out to bars back then and didn't want to carry anything around. And even when I was in a coat I wasn't bundled up like I can be now. I'm not sure if I even had gloves! Certainly no hat or scarf. And FYI I was going out to those bars in a cute short skirt. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs

I'm in southern California -- and I dress like this in my home when it's below 65 degrees. I would never survive being in freezing weather.