Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Nothing like assuming something negative.  Guess you never thought that bold type may be due to vision challenges.

@feline groovy, @Coquille

Please see @Coquille's post #29. She admitted that she hadn't thought about it being done for vision problems and that was "her mistake".

No need to beat a dead horse.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yelling is using ALL CAPS, by using just bold lettering lets the reader know that you want them to listen to what you are saying. 

@ID2

I said what I think of certain types of etiquette in another post in this thread. In my opinion, some highly book educated person, with little if any real life experiences, decided this to elevate their already self belief, that they are above those in the working class.

If I understand what people are saying, do I care if it is grammatically correct/spelled correctly or in the specificity of this topic, bold or CAPS?  Just as some self congratulatory/highly esteemed and arrogant person created what came to be called Roberts Rules.

Does or did that change my way of communicating, in an understandable way, how I communicated to large groups in real life situations?  From this high school non-graduate, nope, and I did just fine.getting it done.

Some in big centers/restaurants/deliberations as jury foreman, and many meetings with large groups of politicians at our city's City Hall. It isn't how you say things, it is what you say, same with typing communicating to me.

Your clarifications on someone's idea of proper Internet etiquette will help some, but only those that feel it is important.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: Bold Lettering Posts

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine being annoyed by someone else's choice of font or type size. (Yelling? It never occurred to me. I receive emails with large bf type from 40-something friends who who "go big and bold" versus grabbing for reading glasses.)The world has issues, but, really, does anyone think this matters? 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think after you've been on these boards a while you know who uses bold text because it's easier to read, and who uses it because they believe whatever they have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say.

And that's a fact.

@faeriemoon

Here’s a fact for you... some here like to share information, and when we do, some of us highlight the bottom line, it’s what were have been taught to do.

Most people who don’t like that aren’t interested in facts anyway, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Trusted Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Coquille wrote:

Why do people feel they have to yell their posts to get their point accross? We all have opinions and we should be accepting of everyone's ideas, thoughts, point of views, etc..

Why do people feel they have to be nasty to one another if one doesn't agree with them? People can always disagree and debate on any topic but try to be civil.

@Coquille- out of curiosity, what is your definition of "bold lettering?" What size font is too big and what size is acceptable? Just wondering for the future. My font is size "3." Is that too big or too small?

I know that I can't see squat when I try to read the posts on my phone. I turn the phone sideways but it's still way too small, even if I enlarge the screen with my fingers. Not worth the effort.

Please explain? Thanks!

@sunala, font size 3 is what I use too !  For me, I consider it is a "Goldilocks" size ... not too big and not too small ... just right !

~~~

long live the ... ellipses Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think after you've been on these boards a while you know who uses bold text because it's easier to read, and who uses it because they believe whatever they have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say.

And that's a fact.

@faeriemoon

Here’s a fact for you... some here like to share information, and when we do, some of us highlight the bottom line, it’s what were have been taught to do.

Most people who don’t like that aren’t interested in facts anyway, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

@Noel7  I'm not talking about highlighting things.  I do that myself all the time when I'm referring to something in a post I'm quoting.  I'm referring to a few know it alls who think they own the place and post everything in bold type.

Honored Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@Coquille wrote:

Why do people feel they have to yell their posts to get their point accross? We all have opinions and we should be accepting of everyone's ideas, thoughts, point of views, etc..

Why do people feel they have to be nasty to one another if one doesn't agree with them? People can always disagree and debate on any topic but try to be civil.

@Coquille- out of curiosity, what is your definition of "bold lettering?" What size font is too big and what size is acceptable? Just wondering for the future. My font is size "3." Is that too big or too small?

I know that I can't see squat when I try to read the posts on my phone. I turn the phone sideways but it's still way too small, even if I enlarge the screen with my fingers. Not worth the effort.

Please explain? Thanks!

@sunala, font size 3 is what I use too !  For me, I consider it is a "Goldilocks" size ... not too big and not too small ... just right !

~~~

long live the ... ellipses Woman LOL

@mzlg

I like 3 also, but I don’t know how to switch to it on an iPad.

Honored Contributor

Is this the bold that bothers some?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I don't know about bolding, but I know some posters like to write in all caps because they have trouble with their vision.  It then appears as though they are shouting and other posters get crazy over it.

I don't like the pink lettering. Hard to read.  Also, there's a font on here that is very difficult to read.  I don't know how that poster doesn't see that and continues to use it.  And I don't have trouble with my vision, either. 

Honored Contributor

Everyone gets their knickers in a twist about different things, and only small handfuls agree with each other, no matter what the “offense” is. 

Basically, whatever someone’s peeve is, no one else is going to change their habit(s) because a stranger on a discussion forum wishes they would stop it. No matter how many times “it annoys me when” posts are made.

When I see long posts without paragraphs, entire posts done routinely in ALL CAPS, or posts where there is little to no  punctuation and it all runs together in fragments to no point - I pretty much don’t read those posts. I don’t really “miss” anything AFAIC, and it’s very clear that the poster has no desire to change the way they post, so for me at least there isn’t any point. I write off those posters as not really saying anything I need to hear/see.

”I don’t like when you do that.”

”I don’t care, I’m going to keep doing it.”

It’s their choice to do it, and it’s my choice to skip it - and I do.

*Mic drop*

Life without Mexican food is no life at all