Honored Contributor

Re: Black smooth top stove question

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs -

I just got a glass top stove and my mother did too.

No matter what gets on it, here's what I've found keeps it sparkling like new clean!

Those Mr Clean magic sponges extra. scrub til the mess gets out.

Then spray with white vinegar and rub with dry cloth, but for those marks that don't want to seem get out

After each use of the stove, I can sometimes just use a gentle kitchen scrub sponge squirted with dish soap and then again the vinegar.But for those marks that don't want to get out, go over with the magic sponge.

My mother has a cleaning lady come once a month and she bought the special glass top stove cleaner for her but it was so messy and involved and didn't really do the job.

She agrees the magic sponge does the trick!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Personally i think these glass tops are for those who only boil water for tea.  jk

i do all the cooking and like gas stoves but had to give mine up because hubs didnt want to continue w propane.  i miss my gas range, it was a minor pain to clean at times.  if we had gas pipelines here i'd go back to gas in a NY minute

So he does the cleaning of this glass top it with weimans. veru fussy about keeping it clean so i'm off the hook!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   If there is till residue, then use the paint scrapper, the one that has the razor blade in it.  It will take it up.  I have my stove for 5 years and learned quickly not to use the ceramic stove top cleaners.  It leaves a residue and no amount of"buffing" takes it away.  I cook every day, so yes, it gets dirty but I clean it once it's cooled and use all that I mentioned.  I would switch to the powder Bartenders Friend, I think it works better.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Personally i think these glass tops are for those who only boil water for tea.  jk

i do all the cooking and like gas stoves but had to give mine up because hubs didnt want to continue w propane.  i miss my gas range, it was a minor pain to clean at times.  if we had gas pipelines here i'd go back to gas in a NY minute

So he does the cleaning of this glass top it with weimans. veru fussy about keeping it clean so i'm off the hook!

I've always cooked on a gas stovetop - electric oven combo.  After reading this thread, think I'll stick to this arrangement. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have a black smooth top.  I have no trouble at all.  First I clean up the spills then apply a cooktop cleaner and polish.  When done it looks brand new and the polish protects the surface from scratches.

There are a few brands on the market and they all work pretty good.

1447CB37-F7FA-4E88-A9B9-5B32F038AC2F.jpeg

Yes .. I have one of these pains in the neck ... this is by far the best cleaner ...

I am sure the dish soap is leaving a film ....

Respected Contributor

definitely .. for grease spots there is nothing like just plain  vinegar .....

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago when I got my stove from Sears, I also bought their cleaner designed for glass top stoves.  I love this stuff and have bought more at the store.  After I clean it, no matter how good it looks, I always use Invisiblel Glass as a final touch.  My black glass top always sparkles.

Honored Contributor

I don't have that kind of stovetop but I recently purchased Pledge Multi Surface cleaner and was really surprised how well it cleaned.   

pledge multi.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

For greasy surfaces, whether your black top range or elsewhere, always Windex.  This stuff is great.  Even kills ants.  Also use the Mr. Clean white sponge thing, as someone else mentioned.  It really works wonders.  In a pinch, that is when my husband has been cooking, he gets out his Exacto knife set and puts on the straight cut blade.  It's the absolute best for removing impossibilities from a glass range top, as it's small and allows you to scrape those difficult puppies off in just one try.  If you don't have a basic Exacto knife set, I'd get one.  They can be found at art stores (perhaps Michael's and Joann's, too - don't know for sure) and at hardware and maybe Lowe's and Home Depot as well.

We've had our LG glass top range with piggyback ovens for nearly 4 years and it seems that these blacktops do age.  There comes a time when you just can't get it back to showroom state.  You can do all the right things, but they will still look a tic dingey.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for the responses....I tried the vinegar because I had that on hand...it did  remove the 'greasy' look to the top.  Unless Walmart carries the stove top polish I will have to wait to purchase that product...Walmart is the only store in town to purchase such items....

It should not be so difficult to clean these stoves...my issue is not dried on food - I take care of that every time I clean up the stove...it was the greasy left over film.

Thanks again.