Honored Contributor

Re: Black smooth top stove question

@software wrote:

I don't have that kind of stovetop but I recently purchased Pledge Multi Surface cleaner and was really surprised how well it cleaned.   

pledge multi.jpg

I love this product.  I use it all the time.  It smells so good too

Esteemed Contributor

That Weiman Glass Cook Top Heavy Duty cleaner & polish as shown. Squirt it on, rub in circles w/a dampened Scotch Brite Dobie Pad. (or other similar non-scratch pad) Wipe off with soft cloth or paper towels. Mine is 6 yrs old and looks new.

Respected Contributor

There really is no good answer because these tops are so unforgiving. They can be absolutely clean but if you drop some water on them you’ve got water spots all over, what a pain they are.  I rented a vacation apartment with one and will never buy one for myself!

Honored Contributor

i really miss my black smooth electric cooktop!

i was encouraged to purchase a gas cooktop with five burners that has very heavy grates. anytime anything is fried or sauteed on it it creates a big mess and i have to remove everything to clean underneath. i was told it would work when my electricity goes out and it doesnt. big mistake and it was expensive.

cannot wait to go back to a smooth cooktop again! i find it a lot easier to maintain.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I don't have that kind of stovetop but I recently purchased Pledge Multi Surface cleaner and was really surprised how well it cleaned.   

pledge multi.jpg

@software  Thanks. I'm going to look for this product.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i was encouraged to purchase a gas cooktop with five burners that has very heavy grates. anytime anything is fried or sauteed on it it creates a big mess and i have to remove everything to clean underneath. i was told it would work when my electricity goes out and it doesnt. big mistake and it was expensive.

cannot wait to go back to a smooth cooktop again! i find it a lot easier to maintain.

@sunshine45  I was thinking about changing to one like your new one. Mine is so difficult to keep clean. I have a smooth black electric cooktop. I haven't made up my mind what I'll do yet.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Our black glass top is close to 19 years old. For years I have used Professor Amos concentrate to clean it. I make sure it foams and scrub it with an abrasive sponge and wife it with a durafiber cloth. I then get a dry durafiber cloth and buff it till it is spotless and shines.

If my wife burns something like a sauce on it, after it cools, I take out the razor tool and blade it off. I am meticulous with this, my wife not so much, but to me it can pass for a brand new glass top.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut ...dang, can you come and clean my stove top!!  I have heard of the product...HSN, correct?  Your wife is lucky, my husband would surface clean the stove but not do a thorough job, Durafiber cloth that is a new term to me......

thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hckynut ...dang, can you come and clean my stove top!!  I have heard of the product...HSN, correct?  Your wife is lucky, my husband would surface clean the stove but not do a thorough job, Durafiber cloth that is a new term to me......

thanks!

I haven’t heard of it either so I did a search.  I wonder if he meant microfiber?  I could be wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45 . With my gas cooktop I need to light it with a match when the electricity goes out.