Honored Contributor

I've been checking in on the Berry eagles the last few days and haven't seen the babies alone, without a parent in the nest.

I noticed this morning that the remnants of what surely was a bird, looked pretty much picked over. I just tuned into the nest, thinking I would see Ma or Pa feeding the babies.

I nearly screamed like the Doritoes goat when I saw the two babies, alone in the nest.

Image result for doritos goat.

Thankfully, an adult just returned to the nest - wow, for those few minutes, those sleeping babies looked vulnerable.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

A brave? mockingbird

Hi Everyone, The above photo was taken this morning, I guess by the Cornell camera operators. Right behind Mama, is a brave or crazy Mockingbird. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I can't believe that bird would get so close to a Great Horned Owl nest. Yesterday there was a photo of a White Breasted Nuthatch just about in the same area, only the owl was sitting on the nest. Some of these little birds must have a 'death wish'. Those baby owlets could easily swallow those birds. The youngest swallowed a Clapper Rail leg one day last week. I didn't see that, but I have seen the older of the two, swallowing one. Those are long legs as the rails are marsh/water birds.

The owlets are growing so fast. Doing a lot of wing exercises. There's a good photo of one of them with the wing extended and it's so pretty with the new little feathers in beautiful colors. Will try to pin that photo and then c andp it here. Mama leaves them alone in the nest several times a day, sometimes for well over an hour.

I am still trying to get rid of the sinus infection and clogged ear issues that I have been battling for the past 2 weeks. Finished the antibiotics Sat. and right now I have a sinus headache. Hope it goes away soon. Makes me so "draggy".

Have a great rest of your Monday. Catch you later, God willing and the creeks don't rise. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Baby Great Horned Owlet~~~Savannah Nest-cam~~March 1,2015

Honored Contributor

'The eaglets are getting bigger every day! Our temps are better today with an expected high of 51 and rain, but no snow.'

Berry Eagle babies last night at 7:30.

Now this morning, Dad is feeding them breakfast. I notice when Dad feed them, there seems to be less competition for food. Both babies are side by side in front of Dad and he efficiently tears a piece of food and feeds one and then the other. It's like a production line.

Honored Contributor

For anyone that followed the Decorah eagles last year, the only eaglet of three that remained alive in the wild passed away earlier in the week - electrocution from a electrical pole. Another was lost the same way shortly after fledge.

The youngest, now named Soar is a permanent resident at a rehab center (used for education) after a serious wing injury.

Honored Contributor

LOL - just saw the funniest exchange between the parents at the Berry Nest. I suspect Ma needed a break and Pa wasn't coming by fast enough. So... she decided to move some of the branches around and Pa, being OCD about any nestorations, flew it to take the branch from her and place it where he wanted. Ma took the opportunity to branch then fly away and Pa dropped what he was playing with and looked up as though to say, How did that happen?

I love these eagles {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Great Horned Owlets "dressed for Saint Patrick's Day, March 17, ,2015. Savannah Nest Cam.

Great Horned Owlets

These babies are probably going to leave their nest soon. I will surely miss them and worry about them. They are so precious to me, but not to the marsh birds, including snowy egrets, and the beasties that live in the tidal flats near the nest. An amazing variety of 'suppers' is brought to the nest by Mama and Papa. Wish they'd eat salads. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

The Berry College Eagles are growing up so fast