Honored Contributor

Hi SeaGal and Birdmama, I took a photo ofMama Great Horned Owl and one of the owlets from the monitor this morning. Amazing how fast these 2 babies are growing and their appetites are enormous. I sure love watching them.

Sorry the quality of this photo isn't very good. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

Possummink - the other night I watched a show about owls on PBS.

Nature - Owl Power

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I checked the Berry eagle nest and lucked out and saw both babies about 10 minutes ago. At first I saw just one and my eyes started to tear up and my lower lip began to tremble - until the other baby moved and I saw that one was okay too.

Honored Contributor

Babies eating lunch {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}. I can't believe Mom or Dad just swallowed a big bone {#emotions_dlg.scared}. Trying to tune in at lunchtime at work is probably not a good thing. I am looking at the computer, whispering, come on little one, that's it, time to eat and I'm leaning towards the computer like I am willing the little one to lean forward to grab the food. I need my head examined - lol.

Honored Contributor

I tuned in earlier and saw Ma feeding the babies.

Imagine my surprise when I just tuned in and saw the banner that the school was closing at 3pm for inclement weather.

Sure enough, snow is falling on the eagle!!

I wonder exactly how inclement the weather is supposed to get {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Oh no - 3 to 6 inches of snow is forecasted

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

It's dark now, but the parent found the duck or goose that was buried under the snow to the left of him/her (see pic above). It looks like he or she is trying to feed the little ones.

Honored Contributor

The camera was down first thing this morning, but when I checked a few hours later it looked like the snow was thawing and Dad was feeding both babies. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Bird mama said:

'We have more than 3 inches of snow with more to come. Here is a nest view with the babies safely tucked under mom.'

I saw this before the camera went down yesterday, isnt that something? Brrr, that must be some very thick down under those feathers to keep her from freezing laying like that for so long. When I checked them this morning Mom looked liked she needed to shift but was afraid of an avalanch!

I just watched them have dinner a bit ago, one bonk from B4 until s/he had a couple bits then they both ate well together, they do good. When she first stood up to feed them she looked kind of stiff, she looks like she needs a good fly around to shake off the stiff bones. It was funny watching her try to get them back under her after they ate, she had the snow bank on the right of her hiked up under her bum, so she was kinda leaning forward and the chicklets kept wanting to squirt out in front of her, she had quite a time getting them under control, ha ha, it was so funny. Bird Mama, I cant tell the adults apart but I am pretty sure it was mom! Looks like Decorah has egg #3 (23) as of yesterday. I was looking at a photo of the 2 of them, she looks like she is aging, makes me kinda sad. Geez she has successfully raised 20 chicks to fledge so she has to be at least 13 if not older. Awesome Mom and Dad they are!

Speaking of goose, I noticed the eagle nest at Kootenai Refuge in Idaho has been taken over by a pair of geese again this year, not sure if she is brooding, I think she might be. This is the same nest that had the video of the babies jumping out of the tree when they all left last year. Even tho they made it down, that video is hard to watch. Its a nice nest, nice setting to view with the little river roaming thru the area.

I hope our Possummink is fine, I see she left us a pic of one of our sweet owlets, thanks possummink! They are growing so big and the older one is so good to h/h sib, like a protector when mom is out and always takes the outside postion under moms wings to keep sibby warm. That one is starting to get color in its feathers already, oh I have just been enjoying this family so much. The moms sure do work hard dont they,only thing dad does is keeps the pantry very full and good for him but wow, I guess I am used to the eagles and ospreys sharing the load. Come back soon OK.