Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have a suggestion for bird feeders that will not allow blackbirds, starlings or whatever they are called, to be able to get to?  I can't stand those things.  They are so aggressive, noisy and sloppy.

I have tried a few different feeder designs with small perches, but they manage to get to them anyway.  The only thing they can't get to is the finch feeder.  I finally took down the feeder yesterday because I got tired of the blackbird screeches.  But, of course, that takes away all the other birds, too.

I can't seem to attract cardinals because of those stupid blackbirds.  There are cardinals around, but I see them very seldom at the feeder.  There are a couple pair of doves that I like, lots of finches and some sparrows.  Thanks, readers Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I try not to regularly use a bird feeder in the warmer months because it could discourage birds from learning to eat in their natural habitat.

I usually use my feeders in the colder months, and cardinals are always around. 

Cardinals will come late in the evening as well, right before dark.

I always watch out for predators like hawks, because I do not want my yard to become a hunting ground.

If you like birds, perhaps you can join your local National Audubon Society branch and learn more about effective practices!

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry that I'm not sure how to post a link but the feeder that I use came from Wild Birds Unlimited.   It's called the Fundamentals Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder.   You can see it on their website.

We don't have many large birds in our yard except the occasional crow.  I do notice the flickers using the feeder on occasion.   

Most of our birds are chickadees, sparrows and goldfinches.   It works really well for the smaller birds.  Even though we feed the squirrels from a separate feeder I've noticed them trying to get into it.  When they put their weight on it the bins shut so they cannot get the seed.  

We also have a smaller cylinder feeder for the little finches.  We buy both regular no waste bird seed and finch food with niger seeds.

We love feeding the birds and squirrels.  We are pretty much homebodies so sitting out in our yard and watching the wildlife is such a joy for us.   We sound like a really exciting couple, don't we?  Ha Ha!

I think this feeder might work for you.  It certainly would discourage the larger birds because they most likely wouldn't be able to get their beaks into the feeder.  

I hope you can find something that works for you.  It sounds like you really enjoy feeding the birds too.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the best I've found........go to DUNCRAFT website

Bring up feeders - first one on left shown  Brome Squirrel Buster

Hang on a pole - perches are too short for black birds and low feeder holes hard for them to reach seeds by bending their bodies.

Adding seeds wasn't as easy as the next suggestion

Love this one - I have 2 of them

Same screen - 2nd row - 3rd over

Classic Hanging feeder

See the plastic dome?   You have to put that weather protector together and being hard plastic it does take a little time and a little muscle to get that last screw/nut in....but it's bendable.....The plastic protector can be installed as LOW as you want it. Low head room allows Cardinals - finch - to fly right in  .......... but  too low for big birds.

Easy to fill - lift green cap cover - fill - replace.

NOTE:  inside plastic hopper holds bulk of seeds up - so no big pile of seeds at any one time.  Hopper will dispense fresh seeds down to floor as birds hit it - or wind blows.  Seeds always out of rain and snow elements.

Small birds LOVE this feeder.

Those are my top suggestions..........no platform feeders - no feeders for big birds to land on.

Enjoy your birds!

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3   The Squirrel Buster Plus will keep them away.  They are too heavy, and the openings will close and not let them eat when they land on the perches.  It's expensive but well worth it.  Amazon sells it as well as many other places.

FAAD2FE1-9DEC-4FB6-92CE-933845EE6306.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

We had the same problem but with Blue Jays and Turtle Doves.  Pretty birds but obnoxious table manners!  They bullied the smaller birds out of their way.  And don't even get me started on the squirrels; we love them and feed them seperately but still, they want it ALL.

Problems solved with a caged bird feeder.  They aren't pretty but are very effective.  Mine are Duncraft Squirrel Proof Selective model.  We've had the same one's for over 10 years now and they work great.

The Jays and Doves get their food on the ground from seed dropped by the smaller birds from the caged feeder.  If you feed Woodpeckers, you'll need a seperate feeder for them because they can't fit through the caged feeder openings.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack You reminded me why I didn't buy a second of that tube feeder. The ring - perch where birds sit.......was a bugger to keep in place.  Think I eventually glued it - to 'help' solve the problem.  Also, young deer would help themselves - empty it because it hung so low on the S Hook.  Just not a well thought out feeder.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack  I purchased 3 of the Squirrel Buster Plus feeders and it has solved all my problems with larger birds and squirrels. Well worth the price for me! 

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@NickNack You reminded me why I didn't buy a second of that tube feeder. The ring - perch where birds sit.......was a bugger to keep in place.  Think I eventually glued it - to 'help' solve the problem.  Also, young deer would help themselves - empty it because it hung so low on the S Hook.  Just not a well thought out feeder.

@fthunt   I've never had to touch the ring perch, and I've had the feeder for at least five or six years.  I'm sorry yours didn't work out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We too have the kind that close when something/one too heavy lands on the perch.