Super Contributor

I changed all my feeders to Safflower seed.  No more squirrels, grackles or starlings.  No more screeches in the morning.  Now I hear the birds singing and it's lovely.

Honored Contributor

I had the same problem with black birds,just about a month ago,they seem to be gone ,but now the chipmunks get on the bird feeders and eat the sunflower seeds.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@wingnut wrote:

I changed all my feeders to Safflower seed.  No more squirrels, grackles or starlings.  No more screeches in the morning.  Now I hear the birds singing and it's lovely.

@wingnut   That's what I did with my hopper feeder.  It solved the problem immediately.  I got the Squirrel Buster Plus for the front of my house where my cat likes to sit in the window and watch the birds.  I put sunflower seed in it.  I gave up on sunflower seed in my hopper feeder many years ago.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bird Feeders

[ Edited ]

In one of my Bird groups on Facebook, one of the members, Stan Schemahorn
makes and sells these bird feeders for blue birds. Starlings can't fit in them. They work great!

84615830_227455098280953_8409743589898190848_n.jpg

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Patriot3  The blackbirds are called Grackles.  I find that eventually all the birds get what they need.  We have two different kinds of feeders hanging and then spread some of the seed on the ground.  Depending on the seed, you will get all different kinds of birds.  We also go to Wild Birds Unlimited to get our food.  My cats love watching the birds from the kitchen window.  When they fly on the bushes in front of the window the cats try to catch them.  What a riot.

Honored Contributor

What do you use to clean the feeders out, what type of cleaner, will do it outside.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.