Honored Contributor

Beware of phony texts from the DMV. Multi state.

[ Edited ]

Beware of phony texts from the DMV. Multi state. There's a text pfishing scam going on across multiple states. My husband just got one. It claims to be coming from the DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles. When I checked online I found that people were getting these texts in Arizona, California and Florida. It's a scam. The Real DMVs have issued warnings about this. 

Updated to add in that New York state has warnings about this too.

The texts may contain different messages. One common one in New York is about the REAL ID requirements. 

West Virginia is also posting warnings

Florida has posted too:

this article about it from ABC7 Staff | November 17, 2020 at 11:56 AM EST - Updated November 17 at 12:14 PM

"SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - Florida’s Attorney General Ashley Moody is warning state taxpayers of a new COVID-19 related text scam that misleads recipients into giving out their banking information in exchange for a $1,200 stimulus check.

This latest scam impersonates the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and Moody’s office reminds everyone that the federal government and state agencies will never require personal banking information to be given out through a text message to receive stimulus payments.

According to a press release, the text message says that the recipient received a $1,200 direct deposit from COVID-19 TREAS FUND and requires further action for the payment to be deposited into the account. The text then directs the person to follow a bogus phishing link.

The URL to the link appears to be a state agency or relief organization’s website, but when it is clicked the URL directs the person to a website fraudulently impersonating the IRS.

Anyone who receives the text should immediately report it to the IRS by sending a screenshot of the message to this website with the following information:

• Date, time and time zone the text message was received;
  • The 10-digit phone number that sent the text; and the recipient’s mobile phone number."

IRS IS ALSO WARNING

"IRS warns people about a COVID-related text message scam"

"COVID Tax Tip 2020-167, December 8, 2020

The IRS and it's Security Summit partners are warning people to be aware of a new text message scam. The thief's goal is to trick people into revealing bank account information under the guise of receiving the $1,200 Economic Impact Payment.

Here's how this scam works

People get a text message saying they have "received a direct deposit of $1,200 from COVID-19 TREAS FUND. Further action is required to accept this payment… Continue here to accept this payment …" The text includes a link to a phishing web address.

This fake link appears to come from a state agency or relief organization. It takes people to a fake website that looks like the IRS.gov Get My Payment website. If people visit the fake website and enter their personal and financial account information, the scammers collect it.

Here's what people should do if they receive this message 

Anyone who receives this scam text should take a screenshot and include the screenshot in an email to phishing@irs.gov with the following information:

• Date/time/time zone that they received the text message
  • The phone number that received the text message"

"The IRS doesn't send unsolicited texts or emails. The agency will never demand immediate payment using a gift card, prepaid debit card or wire transfer or threaten to have a taxpayer arrested."

❤️"Avoid Smishing Scams

Don’t be misled by smishing scams. Remember the following:

• ❤️Government agencies, banks, and other legitimate companies never ask for personal or financial information, like usernames, passwords, PINs, or credit or debit card numbers via text message.
  • Don’t be rushed. Smishing scams attempt to create a false sense of urgency by implying that an immediate response is required or that there is a limited time to respond.
  • ❤️Don’t “click” open links in unsolicited text messages. Clicking the link may infect your mobile device with a virus or malware designed to steal the personal or financial information stored on the device.
  • ❤️Don’t call a telephone number listed in an unsolicited text message. Scam artists often use email-to-text technology, short codes, or spoofed local numbers to hide their identity. You should contact any bank, government, agency, or company identified in the text message using the information listed in your records.
  • ❤️Don’t respond to smishing messages, even to ask the sender to stop contacting you. Responding to smishing messages verifies that your phone number is active and that you are willing to open such messages, which may lead to an increase in the unsolicited text messages you receive.
  • Use caution when providing your cell phone number or other information in response to pop-up advertisements and “free trial” offers. This personal information can be easily bought, sold, and traded, and make you a target for smishing scams.
  • ❤️Never provide your personal or financial information in response to text messages from unknown senders. Verify the identity of the sender and take the time to ask yourself why the sender is asking for your information.
  • Use the same safety and security practices on your cell phone as you do on your computer: be cautious of text messages from unknown senders, as well as unusual text messages from senders you do know, and keep your security software and applications up to date.

How to Report Smishing

Contact the bank, government agency, or company that the scam artist is impersonating so it can alert others and work with law enforcement to investigate the activity.

Forward smishing messages to short code 7726—which spells “SPAM” on your keypad. Doing so allows cell phone carriers to identify the senders of smishing messages and take steps to limit messages from them going forward.

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) and the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”). These agencies enforce the laws regarding scam calls and text messages. You may contact the FTC and FCC as follows:

Federal Trade Commission
Bureau of Consumer Protection
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20580
(877) 382-4357
TTY: (866) 653-4261
www.consumer.ftc.gov external link icon

Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20554
(888) 225-5322
www.fcc.govexternal link icon"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware of phony texts from the DMV. Multi state.

Thanks Mindy.  I hadn't heard of this.  

Esteemed Contributor

In a nut-shell........what did your husband's message want or say?

TV news tonight said this recent request for false Unemployment Benefits came from Russia - middle east, etc.

Somebody entered my name and address saying I applied for benefits.  False!

Stay on your toes folks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  ... THANKS for posting this 😉

Respected Contributor

Hey, thank you for the heads up to the poster that made the thread and to you too, fthunt.  Wow, that's awful.  This world is getting ridiculous.  Hope everything is okay.

Trusted Contributor

They try. Oh, how they try!!

Respected Contributor

I received this text on Feb. 28th.

Action needed. Our system require every (my state) BMV customer must update contact information. For more details visit: https:// real id (my state listed).com

I ignored it.

Esteemed Contributor

Maryland  DMV sent an email waring people of the scam

Esteemed Contributor

What gets me is that even how careful we all are  abt our  personal  info , the state ,  federal and private companies have their systems hacked there by our vital info is released to  corrupt people. Also those  numerous companies such as People Finders, Intellius , ect  that pull your vital info from many sources  which leaves you vunerable to fraud.  To have your name removed you have to go to each site and  go through  steps to have your name removed. It is just ridiculous .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting....have not received this text scam but last week I received a letter in the mail from a state agency stating someone had applied for unemployment insurance benefits in my name.....showed name of company, when lost employment, etc....NOT ME!!  I immediately contacted agency and said I had not applied for this.  I also went to IdentityTheft.org ....put fraud "alerts" on my credit cards, etc.  I am very careful about shredding mail, etc, with my name on it also.  STAY ALERT EVERYONE!!  It's a different world.....