Honored Contributor
Closing the beaches does no good unless they enforce it, which they are not doing. DD and her family were forced to come back early from a deserted beach area with three condos on it. The governor closed the beaches and as soon as he did, a huge crowd of spring breakers showed up. They simply don’t care about the huge health risk they are posing for others or themselves.
Esteemed Contributor

TMZ was showing pictures of people on the beach in So Cal. I thought they were issued an order to stay home. People don't understand.

Honored Contributor

Most beaches here (Florida) have been closed. I think. Police don’t think they can keep people off the beaches no matter what. Parks here have been closed. I also read that national parks are closed now.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

yes, they can close the beaches themselves, but what stops them from congregating in other areas of town? i saw a zumba group a couple of days ago on the boardwalk in bethany beach......near the bandstand. my guess is is that they are locals.

You're right @sunshine45 . People can do what they want, and it's too bad they are not thinking this situation is serious for everyone. (We're a little north of you in DB - not now of course!) 

Owned a home in Dewey for 14 years.  Sold it and a home we rented out in Lewes (beach) for a year round home in Rehoboth (in town).  We rent it out summer season only.

The pics I saw online weren't youngsters, but older mostly people!

We actually have another home at the Jersey shore that is our summer destination now. 

I read where they are thinking about closing the bridges to Wildwood and only letting year round residents on. 

Our beach house is on an island also and since we're not year round we may not be able to go. 

Because of the numbers in NJ it scares me, I know they are mostly north Jersey.  Delaware is small, but unindated with out of towners. 

I think when we owned in DB, there were like 400 year round residents, but 40,000 on summer weekends.  (PartyParty)

We may just stay put at our primary in coastal Carolina.

Esteemed Contributor

In South Carolina, Hilton Head public beaches are closed for the next 60 days, but Myrtle Beach remains open.  With temps in the 80s this week, I heard several families from our area went to Myrtle Beach since school is out and people are not at work.    

Honored Contributor

update as of 3/22/20, 9:50am:

47 confirmed positive cases

new castle county has 33

kent county has 5

sussex county has 9

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom - well, I can tell you we have now at the beaches in SC. And, to make sure they are an appropriate distance apart, they have police on the beach - such a waste.

Do they think these people are not partying together at night? 

This, imo, only raises our chances of having more and more cases. 

Trusted Contributor

On Meet the Press this morning the showed one kid on the beach getting intereviewed and saying well if he gets the virus, he gets the virus, but it won't stop him from partying!   And one girl actually was dumb enough to say it mostly affects older peope so she does not have much to worry about.  I really don't wish harm to come to anyone but you know...... there are just some people.

We know that once something is out there it is out there for all to see.  Wonder if any of this would come up when some of these fools are eventually looking for jobs.

Honored Contributor

Governor John Carney issued a Stay-at-Home order for all Delaware residents Sunday afternoon, as cases in Delaware rise. The order is set to begin Tuesday, March 24 at 8 a.m. All non-essential businesses are to close, in order to help stem the tide of coronavirus. The order will remain in place until May 15, or the public health crisis lifts.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

updated as of 3/2/30 5pm, 87 confirmed positive cases in delaware. 58 in new castle county, 9 in kent county, 20 in sussex county.