Respected Contributor

During this period of mourning for Barbara  -->  FYI

Many might "tune in" to Barbara Walters' 25+ yo "brain child,"

"The View"  (Mon-Fri,  11am (est)), (ABC) 

Note: 

Regular co-host, "Joy Behar," just celebrated her 80th Birthday.   I was shocked!  I dont think Joy has aged!   She's only 13 yrs younger than Barbara was!

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

A trailblazer whose guts and brio made so much possible for the female journalists who followed her.

How well I remember how Harry Reasoner loathed having her as his co-anchor.  In the end, whose footprint was larger and more influential?  

I wonder why he disliked Barbara????

Respected Contributor

Re: Barbara Walters RIP

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

A trailblazer whose guts and brio made so much possible for the female journalists who followed her.

How well I remember how Harry Reasoner loathed having her as his co-anchor.  In the end, whose footprint was larger and more influential?  

I wonder why he disliked Barbara????

I don't think it helped that he had been the sole anchor and now was a co-anchor. On top of that, she was paid more than him from day 1. I don't think very many people would be happy with that scenario. Just my take.

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

NOTE:

Sunday, Jan 1st, 2023 

8PM - 10PM (est)     (ABC)

"Our Barbara - - A Special Edition of 20/20"

~~~~~~~~~~~

This "Barbara Walters" Special tonight (Sun, Jan 1) was incredible IMHO.

I watched, & it was as if she hadnt died! 

The Special showed excerpts of many of the interviews I'd seen her do! 

It was as if Barbara Walters has never left us.

NEWS:

(Newly) Announced:

Tues, Jan 3, 2023 - 11AM - "The View"  (ABC) 

ref: *Barbara Walters!*

Respected Contributor

Re: Barbara Walters RIP

[ Edited ]

The biograhy "Harry Reasoner:  A Life in the News" (University of Texas Press) provides a fascinating, detailed analysis of Harry and Barbara's relationship,devoting an entire chapter to the pairing, "Trouble, Turmoil and Barbara Walters."

Having read the book, I believe that Harry was primarily disturbed by ABC's insistence that he have a co-anchor at all.  He felt that he was capable of going solo, but had not been given proper time to cultivate the audience.

In fact, ABC had first approached Harry's friend, Roger Mudd for the position.  (Harry was paired with Howard Smith for a time but had requested that Smith be dropped.)  Harry told Roger directly that he was not wanted and not to take the job.  "You know, I hate to say this, but as much as I like you, I don't want you to come.  I have been waiting all these years to have my own broadcast."  Roger understood.

The book goes on to say that in his eyes having any partner meant that he was a failure.  Harry did no want a man, a woman, and particularly Barbara Walters to share what he viewed as his desk.

Was there some chauvanism involved?  I suspect so.

Barbara even interviewed Harry years later when he published his own memoir.  He told her "I never disliked you."

I think he disliked the idea of her.