Honored Contributor

Re: Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Here we go again!!!!!! Blaming the workers for being furloughed and measuring their lives by ours! UNBELIEVABLE!

I have gone without a paycheck for months a few times in my life...with three small kids.  A phone call to my creditors stalled everything.  To add insult to injury, when the paycheck started again, there was no back pay.  We had to work really hard to catch up on months of bills.

@Carmie

So you weren’t working at all during those 3 months?

Were your kids in daycare?

Honored Contributor

Daycare is another issue. Workers in the essential positions have to report to the jobs that aren’t giving them paychecks and also have to come up with the $$$ to pay for child care. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder was the Employee Attrition will be once this

is all said & done?  Are employees leaving & finding other jobs?

Lots of unfillable positions?  For fear this will happen again?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The State Department has been called back to work, starting next week.  Some funds have been uncovered to pay the employees. My neighbor is State, and her husband is a contractor, so I am pleased for them.  The funds are limited, however.  I hope all employees are returned to work sooner rather than later.:

The State Department is ordering its staff back to work next week, pledging that it will find the money to pay them despite the partial government shutdown.

In an "urgent message" issued on the 27th day of the shutdown, Deputy Under Secretary for Management Bill Todd told staff that "as a national security agency, it is imperative that the Department of State carries out its mission. We are best positioned to do so with fully staffed embassies, consulates, and domestic offices."
"As a result, all State Department direct-hire employees and State Department locally employed staff are expected to report to work on their first work day in Pay Period 2," Todd wrote. He noted that for most employees, that will be January 22, while for others posted in countries where the work week begins on Sunday, that will be January 20.
Todd wrote that given the "increasing hardship to employees caused by the ongoing lapse in appropriations, the Department is taking steps to make additional funds available to pay employee salaries."
No effort had been made to do so earlier because agency officials had thought the shutdown would end earlier, according to a State Department statement.
In a statement, the agency said that it had done "its best to address matters essential to achieving US national security and foreign policy objectives during the ongoing lapse, it has become clear as the lapse has continued to historic lengths, that we need our full team to address the myriad critical issues requiring US leadership around the globe."
A State Department spokesperson said the money will come from "residual balances" and will cover State Department employees at bureaus that are not already funded. These balances could have been left over from the last fiscal year or several fiscal years. The spokesperson noted the funding will not cover back pay -- that will have to wait until the budget for fiscal year 2019 is approved -- and will only be available for one pay period, after which Congress will have to approve additional funding.
Beyond that point, the Department will act with the guidance of the Office of Management and Budget.
According to the agency, as of Thursday, approximately 23% of US direct hire overseas employees and 40% of direct hire domestic employees have been furloughed. The emergency funding move was coordinated with OMB and the White House, according to the State Department.
It does not cover locally employed staff, most of whom are set to receive pay through March 2.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Here we go again!!!!!! Blaming the workers for being furloughed and measuring their lives by ours! UNBELIEVABLE!

I have gone without a paycheck for months a few times in my life...with three small kids.  A phone call to my creditors stalled everything.  To add insult to injury, when the paycheck started again, there was no back pay.  We had to work really hard to catch up on months of bills.

@Carmie

So you weren’t working at all during those 3 months?

Were your kids in daycare?

We were not working...long story.  Short version...my DH got fired because his boss wanted to use our house while were on vacation. He was a friend. His was damaged in a flood.  I said no.  Tried to get unemployment..was denied.  The appeal was denied too.

My DH finally got a new job and had to work three weeks before he was paid.  They withheld two weeks pay.  So, he got paid for one week. He gave me cash to go grocery shopping from that first check.  I lost the cash somewhere. It was really bad.

My kids were in school...never in daycare.  We ate a ton of macaroni, with beans and tomato juice...kinda soupy mixture.

We were young....in our mid 20's.  No savings, but I had staple food in the cupboard and a big jar of coins and a cc with a $300 limit.

Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple  Thank You!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz- As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew it would be Wells Fargo.  NOT because I think they're a wonderful bank; quite the opposite.

A quick google of "Wells Fargo fines and settlements" will reveal all the horrendous underhanded and illegal practices for which they've been fined over the past few years.  Opening millions of fake accounts in customers' names, repossessing military service men and women's cars and properties illegally, the list goes on.

So Wells Fargo is on a mission to re-establish its "good name".  Not my opinion; the mission statement of its current CEO.  He stated recently that they needed to do a lot to regain their customers' trust.

They have a very long way to go and these actions are a drop in the ocean to undo all the harm they've done previously.  I'm sure those benefiting right now are appreciative, but there are others still burnt by their unscrupulous actions.  It's a major PR exercise for this bank.  They get no kudos from me.

Respected Contributor

To read the judgement of some of the responders on this post is disheartening.  Blame is so easy when you are not directly involved or effected by the non payment of OUR government workers.  Your critique of how they should be handling their lives, moneys, medicines, savings, etc. is cruel as you sit at home knowing your paycheck or pension or social security will arrive on time and make the living of your life possible.

My heart breaks for all the government employees who are faced with this unholy situation through no fault of their own.  The uncertainty of not knowing when you will be paid is a nightmare, the stress placed upon them and their families is horrid.  The lack of empathy and support is unacceptable to me.  May this ungodly, cruel punishment end, swiftly for them.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

To read the judgement of some of the responders on this post is disheartening.  Blame is so easy when you are not directly involved or effected by the non payment of OUR government workers.  Your critique of how they should be handling their lives, moneys, medicines, savings, etc. is cruel as you sit at home knowing your paycheck or pension or social security will arrive on time and make the living of your life possible.

My heart breaks for all the government employees who are faced with this unholy situation through no fault of their own.  The uncertainty of not knowing when you will be paid is a nightmare, the stress placed upon them and their families is horrid.  The lack of empathy and support is unacceptable to me.  May this ungodly, cruel punishment end, swiftly for them.

@Somertime  HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

@Somertime I couldn't agree more with your post. It is cruel. Very cruel. That's exactly the word, uncertainty.  With no end to this in sight I would think some people are selling off possessions and doing similar things out of awful fear that they won't be able to eat soon. And it IS soon for so many of them, it's not some abstract time way down the line. It's not about missing one paycheck, that's very short sighted and judgmental.

@Trinity11 would know far more about it than I ever could, but I would venture a guess that insulin is skyrocketing because of greed. Just because drug companies can. My Mom used to always tell me they would never find a cure for diabetes because there's far too much money to be made in not finding a cure. And she wasn't a cynical person. Smart but not cynical.

The people who protested at the drug company, the one I mentioned pages ago-they weren't being exploited by the media or looking for their fifteen minutes. They were telling the truth about what happened to their loved ones because of the price of insulin. They rationed it, they died as a result. Guess some here would question and blame them too and have all sorts of judgements about what they should have done. Maybe even blame them for having diabetes. Who knows, nothing would surprise me anymore.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"