Valued Contributor

Re: Bank steps up to help furloughed workers

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Here we go again!!!!!! Blaming the workers for being furloughed and measuring their lives by ours! UNBELIEVABLE!

Who is blaming the workers?  No one is.  The shut down is not  their fault.

What is unbelievable is that they missed one paycheck.  Just one!

If their bills were up to date, they would not be losing their cars, or homes or having to sell their personal items. 

They would have to be behind in their bills for months for this to happen.  Banks do not forclose that fast.

The Media is creating excitement again to get things all hopped up.

I have gone without a paycheck for months a few times in my life...with three small kids.  A phone call to my creditors stalled everything.  To add insult to injury, when the paycheck started again, there was no back pay.  We had to work really hard to catch up on months of bills.

We survived and so will the Federal workers.

It reminds of when we were struck by a hurricane and warnings were out weeks in advance.  The day after it hit, the radio stations were bombarded with people needing supplies.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pay grade for GS 1:

The GS-1 pay grade generally marks an entry-level position. Starting salary for a GS-1 employee is $18,785.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base pay of $23,502.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-1 employee is $9.00 per hour.

The majority falls between the two!

GS-15 pay is capped at level V of the Executive Schedule. Starting salary for a GS-15 employee is $105,123.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base pay of$136,659.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-15 employee is $50.37 per hour.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Here we go again!!!!!! Blaming the workers for being furloughed and measuring their lives by ours! UNBELIEVABLE!

If their bills were up to date, they would not be losing their cars, or homes or having to sell their personal items. 

They would have to be behind in their bills for months for this to happen.  Banks do not forclose that fast.

I have gone without a paycheck for months a few times in my life...with three small kids.  A phone call to my creditors stalled everything.  To add insult to injury, when the paycheck started again, there was no back pay.  We had to work really hard to catch up on months of bills.

It reminds of when we were struck by a hurricane and warnings were out weeks in advance.  The day after it hit, the radio stations were bombarded with people needing supplies.  

Well yeah!  If your home, even if it were well stocked, blew across town or into the ocean, I guess one might be desparate enough to beg for supplies.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  If the young lady rationing insulin was already in debt, even if she got paid last week, she would still be in debt.

Losing one pay check did not cause her problems.

I do feel sorry for her, and believe the media is exploiting her .

Valued Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Well yeah!  If your home, even if it were well stocked, blew across town or into the ocean, I guess one might be desparate enough to beg for supplies.

Well yes, however that was not the case in my area.  Even the radio DJ's mentioned this.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Pay grade for GS 1:

The GS-1 pay grade generally marks an entry-level position. Starting salary for a GS-1 employee is $18,785.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base pay of $23,502.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-1 employee is $9.00 per hour1.

Well that's certainly enough to be current on all your bills, have an emergency fund, and not ration your insulin. Is it not?  You said it @JaneMarple, judging the lives of others by one's own. Rather harshly too.

My brother isn't a federal employee and has private insurance. Struggles with paying for his diabetes needs. He's not looking for any "15 minutes" either. Smh. There but for the grace of a higher power go you, is all I can say.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Just heard that 36,000 IRS employees are being called into work (without pay of course) to process tax returns. 

Im glad I never file until April!

Valued Contributor

@september wrote:

Just heard that 36,000 IRS employees are being called into work (without pay of course) to process tax returns. 

Im glad I never file until April!

I read that earlier.  Hopefully those that think they don't have to file or pay during the shut down will wake up.  

Honored Contributor

Let's take an average GS 7 salary and see if one could miss one paycheck away from disaster, I believe so! 

The GS-7 pay grade generally marks an entry-level position. ... Starting salary for aGS-7 employee is $35,854.00 per year at Step 1, with a maximum possible base payof $46,609.00 per year at Step 10. The hourly base pay of a Step 1 GS-7 employee is $17.18 per hour.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Trinity11  If the young lady rationing insulin was already in debt, even if she got paid last week, she would still be in debt.

Losing one pay check did not cause her problems.

I do feel sorry for her, and believe the media is exploiting her .

@Carmie There is a vast difference between a cash payment for insulin and a hospital stay. A year ago I was in the ER for 6 hours. The bill was $200 grand. I have good insurance. She clearly has a high deductible and can't afford anymore hospital co-pays. In addition when blood glucose levels run high, it is hard to make decisions. You lose your ability to think clearly. She probably is under a lot of stress which also raises blood sugars.