Esteemed Contributor

i've never purchased eyeglasses at BJ's....always buy them from my eye doctor...asking for your opinions.....

Esteemed Contributor

Stick with your doctor......................I went off the path of 'smart' and bought from a chain store - buy one - get one free or half price.  Couldn't blink without a lense falling out - on trip had to carry an eyeglass emergency kit with tiny screwdriver.  How do you repair glasses when they are in your hand with screwdriver and you can't see?

Honored Contributor

My mother had an exam and bought two pairs of glasses there last year.  Everything went fine and she's still wearing the glasses.  She's hopped around to different places every year or two.  I am usually the one who takes her.  I liked Target Optical the best.  No particular reason.  

Honored Contributor

@nana59   A few years ago a poster posted a pic of a frame I just loved.  I found it on sale at an optical shop in Canada.  Great frame, made in GB.  I then had the lens made by the optical shop at Walmart.  They did a nice job.  I got my progressive trifocals, frame and lens, for about $300.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I would never buy glasses from the doctor. Did it twice. First time they had to go back to where he sent them because the prescription was wrong. 2nd doctor--Was there on a Friday. Pick up was the day before, so I missed it. Had to wait 6 days for the following Thursday to get picked up. Then had to wait another week to get them. As i recall, the bifocals were in the wrong place, so back they went, waiting another 2 weeks. LensCrafters does a great job---usually same day, free adjustments. Plus you miight be able to get a sale on the frames or the lenses.

Respected Contributor

My 94 year old Aunt bought 2 pairs of glasses at BJ's last year. She's had no complaints and she had a nice selection of frames to choose from. One of my friends got her glasses there a couple of years ago. She has a very complicated prescription and she was very happy with her eyeglasses. 

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59  My reading glasses came from BJ's and I have been very pleased with them.  My prescription is progressive trifocals with prisms and I was concerned if they were worth the money.  My glasses at my eye doctor, even with insurance, cost almost $1,000, while the one from BJ's was about $225.  

Because of the personalized service that I get at my eye doctor's office, and he mostly does difficult cases like mine, I would like to get all of my glasses from him.  It just is not cost effective when I see so little difference in quality, meaning that the frames are not as high end.  Since I rarely need my reading glasses now except to do the Sunday puzzles, I just did not see spending extra money.

If you wait until their specials, you will really come out ahead.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I talked to my ear, nose and throat Doctor (yes, I realize they don't handle eye) about that very thing. I talked to her about getting hearing aides from Costco instead of the audiologist. 

She said that no matter where you work you get the same training and have to go through the same courses and attend Medical School the same amount of years.

She said that when a Doctor graduates, they have alot of debt when they start out. And just can't afford to open their own office, just the cost of keeping a staff and all the equipment. So they often start out at Bjs, Costco, Sam's or Walmart.

She also said by working with the volume of people they see in those stores is a great experience. They often handle twice as many patients and gain alot of experience.

Honored Contributor
We buy our glasses from Costco. Love the quality, price and selection of frames. My opthalmologist has an optical dept right inside his office lobby....outrageous prices and didn’t even get the prescription done correctly. We will stick with Costco.
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Stick with your doctor......................I went off the path of 'smart' and bought from a chain store - buy one - get one free or half price.  Couldn't blink without a lense falling out - on trip had to carry an eyeglass emergency kit with tiny screwdriver.  How do you repair glasses when they are in your hand with screwdriver and you can't see?

@fthunt @That is not right, I would have returned them. I purchase from Costco and there has never been a problem in 17 years. I know if there was they would make it right.