Respected Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

I don't care for buffets. All of the weddings I've attended or my own have been plated w/ open bar.
Valued Contributor

No matter buffet or plated just don't make the guests stand around waiting while the bride and groom take pictures for an hour or more.  Take the main photos including those of the bride and groom together before the wedding.   A few canapes don't make up for a long wait between the ceremony and the start of the reception because the reception doesn't really start until the bride and groom arrive.

Esteemed Contributor

It doesnt matter to me. My son just got marreid in May, and had a sit down dinner. I can do either. To me, the main theing at the reception part is the music! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Do you prefer a plated meal or a buffet? If the bar is limited to beer, wine, and a signature cocktail, do you take issue with that?

I prefer a buffet, seems easier.  I have no preference regarding the bar.  Cake is important and good dance music.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer a buffet. 

Easier to talk and mingle with new friends/guests.

I don't care about cocktails, alcohol, etc. 

But nice coffee is a must.

We're usually very tired by the time dessert arrives, and a nice cup or two of delicious coffee sure comes in handy for the drive home.

Edited to say that many of the weddings and receptions we've attended are very long, drawn out.  Hours and hours and hours.  (Family photos, etc., etc.)

I prefer the shorter, daytime weddings/receptions.  The evening ones are very tiring. 

I give a lot of credit to the brides and grooms.  Younger couples sure do have a lot of energy now-a-days. 

'All in all' I always look very positive and appreciative. ( I'm just chatting here right now.  No harm done or said to anyone. )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

Oh gosh, I prefer sit-down! As the person who always ends up helping the elderly and disabled in the family get seated and settled, get their food, help them with their food, etc. it is SO NICE to have someone else handle the food-fetching. When there's a buffet I usually spend most of the dinner running around with plates of food. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I'd prefer buffet and open bar.  Buffet allows options for people who are limited in what they can eat - or picky eaters.  However, having beer, wine, and a cocktail would not be an issue for me at all.

Respected Contributor

One of posters mentioned a morning brunch after wedding. I think that sounds lovely. Beats waiting around for several hours for dinner hour.
Super Contributor

Plated meal.

buffet if the lines are controlled and you don't stand there forever balancing food and getting back to your table before it's all too cold. 

I enjoy wine so that is enough and cocktails need not be included unless the guest pays . I think some people use this as an excuse to go crazy trying fancy drinks and that bar tab gets huge.