Esteemed Contributor

Re: At a wedding, do you prefer

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I think that would be fine if all your guests are local. Our hometowns are hundreds of miles apart in opposite directions of where we live. I’m not asking people to come for an overnight and not giving them dinner.

We’re not going into debt or raiding our retirement accounts for a wedding. We can very well afford to do it.

Do what you two enjoy and your family and friends would prefer. Which type of meal suits your families? (Mine would certainly say, "Sit down, plated.") It's however you were raised and how you now live your lives that should dictate the type of dining. Same with the bar. 

You don't need to explain anything to anyone. Relax; be comfortable. Savor the moment.

Congratulations! Enjoy your wedding day! Eat, drink, dance until dawn and be merry/married happily for many, many years!

As far as food, most caterers are great when it comes to guests with food allergies and other health issues. If you know them well enough to invite them, you most likely are aware of health issues. Simply include a pre-printed note in their invitation when asking which meal selection they prefer. They will be able to indicate allergies, their name and changes to the menu. Caterers prefer the extra notice so they are able to order the necessary food, as well as prepare and serve any changes correctly.

Thanks for being such a considerate couple!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I’ve waited this long to wear that dress. Our family and friends are going to dance with us all night long while I wear it.

Sounds like a "today" wedding to me! 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I prefer a wedding to just have cake, punch, and no meal whatsoever.  This added expense of feeding guests is just not necessary to me.  Add the money to their new life and home together.  I can eat at home.  Not opposed to a glass of champagne to toast the Bride and Groom at the reception but feeding me is just not what I need.

@beckyb1012 . I'm 64 and  have honeslty never beeen to a wedding reception with only cake and punch.  I can't imagine having guests travel for hours and not give them anything to eat.

I wouldn't have people traveling for hours and a big deal of a wedding.  I'd have a small wedding for people near in distance, not tons of showers and gifts and parties before during and after.  I'd get married in a church in a simple ceremony, have dessert and be done with it.  To me, that's a wedding about a marriage.  That's my take on it.

But I don't come from a background of a lot of money, so I'm talking about how poor to average people used to get married.  Like something that doesn't cost more than your car. . . or half the cost of your car.

Trusted Contributor

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a wedding that had a buffet...but it wouldn’t bother me, whatever the bride and groom wants, it’s their day.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

You sound very thoughtful, and I'm sure whatever you choose will be great. Personally, I like a nice buffet so I can choose what I want. I'm not a big chicken or other meat eater, so I'd rather be able to choose salads and side dishes. I've been to some buffets that had wonderful choices including hand sliced prime rib by a chef - my point is that a buffet can be just as lovely as a sit down dinner, but some people want to be served rather than serving themselves. I'd gladly thank the hosts for whatever they choose. For the bar, I think most people are fine with wine and beer or other simple mixed drinks. Good luck to you - I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Respected Contributor

Plated. that way everyone gets their food at the same time. I dont drink alcohol so it doesn't bother ,me if its open bar or wine and beer.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Buffet style with free beer and soda would be fine by me. I know some weddings are lavish affairs, but I grew up in simpler times and would prefer that the couple saved a few bucks at the reception.  Just make sure there's a polka band.

Esteemed Contributor

Plated meal with a choice.  And we do not drink.  

I do not eat beef, pork, chicken.  I will eat fish.  So buffets usually work better but I do love to be served so plated meal it is.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner, I sure know what you're talking about. I'm from the Midwest, my first marriage was when I was 22 and my parents were barely middle income - and had just helped me get through college. Common practice for them was a nice wedding - nothing extravagant - and a small reception afterwards with a wedding cake. I guess it was social class thing, and probably still is to some extent in certain areas. My cousins who lived on the east coast had big, expensive weddings with knock-out receptions at their country club. It's just a difference in how and where we are raised. But - times have changed!

Honored Contributor

It surprises me that guests and wedding hosts often expect a quid pro quo for gifts/meals/entertainment etc.  I guess I've learned that while you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, it sure doesn't work out that way when it comes to weddings these days!  

I couldn't do the math.