Honored Contributor

Anyone have experience with e-bay ---

I wasn't sure where to put this, so forgive if it is in wrong topic!

Does anyone here have experience with selling things on e-bay?  I was thinking this might be something I might look into.  I looked preliminarily and briefly on line and it seems more involved than what I had thought.  Just wondering if those who do this or have done it could give me your thoughts on this.  If I would do it, I wouldn't do it in a large way but thought it might be a good way to empty my house of a quite a few things I have and could make a bit of money.  Thanks for any input!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with e-bay ---

Idont sell but I do buy for ebay with good results. Consider that you will need to provide shipping materials which you will have to provide and would eat into your profits.

Honored Contributor

these things are a lot of work,

you need to be prepared ahead before you take the plunge, I suggest you hit youtube for tutorials on how to begin and what supplies you need 

there are other platforms as well on which to sell and they all have +/- 

and different buyers 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have sold several handbags, and jewelry over the past couple of years on eBay with only a couple of people who caused a problem. I only put one or two things out there at a time and once those are sold I’ll put another one out there. I do this so I don’t go crazy trying to keep it all straight. It’s pretty easy. Check what others are selling a similar item for, take a few photos and fill out the form online that eBay provides regarding the item. I’ve only had two people that didn’t pay and you don’t ship until you get paid. I’m not a business that is selling stuff, I’m just an individual who is selling a stash of handbags and a few jewelry items. 

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1Check the USPS web site, they offer some free boxes for Priority Shipping. I know it costs a bit more to ship that way, but the items gets there quicker. The faster the item is received, the better your rating is with their feedback. Also, you can set up for the postal person on your route to do a free pick-up which means no trip to the Post Office for you. Sometimes that is a help for you. 

I have both bought and sold on eBay and it gets something you have looked at by a lot more people than if you run an ad in your newspaper. Sometimes that gets a better price for you.

Check on their web site to see what similar items are selling for so you don't over price your items. You can see what other items like yours have already sold for, too. 

Just a couple of suggestions. Enjoy, and I wish you luck.

Respected Contributor

My sister does this.  She reports that it is not what it used to be. . .

So many sellers on ebay, and so many choices, things are not selling fast or for much money.  She used to do it year round, now she only does Christmas time.  She does sell old hobby magazines (eg, woodworking, knitting, etc.), and toys.    

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I no longer sell.  I was up against very shifty dishonest buyers.  The stories I have to tell with no desire to say more at this point.  However when I buy I always ask questions first.  Any question to draw out the seller to size them up.  No answer I walk away.  AND I ALWAYS BUY FROM SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZED IN ONLY ONE TYPE OF PRODUCT.  For example, in the past I bought square dance and western clothing and only from someone who only sold that type of clothing.  In  my opinion if they sell it only they are somewhat of an expert in it and take pride in it.  

I never buy electronics of any kind

I always read reviews of products and THE SELLER.

I HAVE ONLY BEEN CHEATED, TAKEN ADVANTAGE ONCE AND THAT WAS WHEN SOMEONE HAD HIS FRIEND OUTBIT ME A FEW TIMES.  Those were the days when the buyer had a type of signature, no more.  

Trusted Contributor

I use to sell items now and then on eBay.  In the beginning it was very easy but as time went on it became more of a hassle so I had to stop.  Buyers became much more difficult.  You have to think about S&H when you post your items.  If you are new to eBay, people may not bid on your items either.  If you have any issues eBay and Paypal are not easy companies to work with.

Recently I have used our Nextdoor App to sell items locally or through Facebook.

Regular Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I guess I'm in the minority here. I've been selling on Ebay off and on for many years and really enjoy it. Over the past couple of years, I've been selling quite a bit.

In the beginning it will be a bit time consuming until you become familiar with the selling process. It's a great place to get rid of household items you no longer use. You would not believe the miscellaneous stuff I've sold on Ebay (vacuum attachments I do not use, Keurig drip tray that came with my mini Keurig, self-help books, stove went out and my husband and I parted it out and sold the parts on Ebay and made $200).

If you really enjoy selling on Ebay once you get the hang of it, you can get into reselling where you actually purchase items elsewhere and then resell on Ebay. I do a lot of price comparisons and research to be sure what I'm thinking about purchasing will sell on Ebay and there is a market for it. What I find works best is to sell items that you are generally interested in and have some knowledge about (i.e. beauty products, designed handbags and clothing, household items, etc.). 

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Honored Contributor

I don't sell but purchase quite a bit from eBay. have had a handful of not receiving merchandise or partical shipment of products I ordered, but out all the years I have been with eBay, really is good results as whole.