Honored Contributor

Anyone Spending Thanksgiving Alone?

Well, you are not alone anymore.  I will be alone this Thanksgiving but I still celebrate a little.  I bought a Stouffers Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes and dressing and then I will cook fresh sweet potatoes and the bake (candied) and fresh brussel sprouts and to top off canned whole cranberry sauce.    How about you?  Will you cook something for yourself?  Happy Thanksgiving.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Spending Thanksgiving Alone?

Do you know any other loners?  I ate by myself one year at Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving, and the next year I invited everybody I knew who was single to my house for Thanksgiving dinner. We had great fun.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving friend !!!!

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1   I did have only one Thanksgiving that I was all alone.  Thank goodness I like to read.  And I kept the TV on to watch the Macy's and Philadelphia Parades and the dog show.

And I did cook for myself.  I was thankful that I had a home and good food.  I often think of so many (often overlooked) who do not.

Honored Contributor

Our community does a dinner for anyone who wants to attend..Volunteers donate the food,cook and serve.It is very popular and I am sure fun..volunteer or just have dinner with many others.

Honored Contributor

Although I'm not alone this Thanksgiving, I think you have a good plan for surviving the holiday. Doesn't sound like you are feeling down about it, just because someone is alone on a holiday doesn't mean they feel like jumping off a bridge. Enjoy your dinner and Happy Turkey Day to you too.

Regular Contributor

I will be at my daughters house, eating a turkey package dinner. Had the same thing last year and it was pretty bad. 

So, when I get home, I am making myself a turkey breast (hard to find this year), some cheese potato casserole, green bean casserole, and the dressing and cranberries that nobody likes but me. I like leftover turkey sandwiches! 

also, a nice bottle of wine!

i guess I am outdated, but I really like the traditional homemade classics on holidays.

When I am alone on holidays, I usually binge watch Netflix or movies that make. Me laugh. Airplane is a favorite of mine. Or I save a favorite author's book to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99@You are right that it doesn’t matter if a person doesn’t feel lonely, but it is nice to know there are options if you want company.

Trusted Contributor

I am alone but never lonely on holidays. For Thanksgiving I already made home made soup and homemade cranberry salad.  I have sweet potatoes ready for the oven, pulled chicken from the freezer about an hour ago, and bought fresh green beans today. I love to cook, so today already has started my fun. Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

I'm cooking a whole chicken in the air fryer and preparing all the traditional sides.  I've been doing this since 1997 so I've got it down to a science. Thankful to have a roof over my head and food on the table.