Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?

I always went to the Kapok Tree restaurant with my grandparents, when I used to visit them as a child.  I especially remember the corn fritters!  I'm sad it closed.  I read at one time it was one of the top 15 restaurants in America.  Everything changes; and in my experience, it's usually for the worst.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Image 1 - Interior View Club Room Peter Pan Inn Urbana Maryland MD Postcard B41

Image 1 - Urbana MD- Maryland, Peter Pan Inn, Green House, Flowers Gardens Chrome Postcard

A place of fantasy and kitsch.  I remember celebrating my 22nd birthday here as well as attending the outdoor wedding of high school friend here.  

Although living nearby, I dined at the Peter Pan Inn only two times.  People traveled from afar to experience the extraordinary decor and pleasant dining.  

There was a "sister" restaurant in Clearwater, Fla., called the Kapok Tree Inn.

Anyone remember one of these restaurants?  

@golding76   Sure do, spent many a Sunday aternoon there for dinner with famiy members for many years; beautiful countryside. It was sold and became The Cracked Claw in 1989, sold again to a developer and demolished in 2014.  Family also went to Baltimore for strawberry pie at Haussners many times.  I'm a native Washingtonian, grew up in Georgetown, moved to MD suburbs as a young child. Unfortunately, it is not the wonderful place it was in earlier years and I regret not leaving the area long time ago.

Valued Contributor

Does this bring back memories! My family would go there for Sunday dinner several times a year. As I recall, you placed your order for the entree in advance, and the rest of the meal was served family style. They had fried chicked, fried shrimp (which was almost a tempura coating), country ham, and some sort of beef. As a child, I was as impressed by the decor as much as the food. And those peacocks!

It was such a treat to get dressed up and drive there. We lived in Bowie, MD, which made it about an hour's drive I think. My parents loved to take Sunday drives and go to a nice restaurant. 

This was definitely one of my favorites.

We would also go to some in DC, one which had great popovers as I recall! 

Thank you for posting this, and the pictures.

Honored Contributor

Of course, a fave of mine since I was a young child, hour ride for us from Baltimore. Went there until it closed probably late 80's. Always a long wait even in winter. Loved the beautiful peaocks milling around. A sister to it was the Kapok Tree Inn in the Tampa area. and those Hush Puppies, yum!!! 

Honored Contributor

I've never been there.  I dimly kind of remember the name, but I don't even know that area. 

Frequent Contributor

I’m catotto’s sister and I too enjoyed the Peter Pan restaurant. I liked the country ham! They also had apple butter in the relish tray. Loved those peacocks and the landscaping. Food was excellent
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone remember the Flagship Restaurant and their marvelous rum buns in DC. Sold to Phillips Seafood in 1985.

How about Hot Shoppes with "teen twists" and "mighty moes",  chain of casual drive-in restaurants founded by J. Willard Marriott in 1927 that once had dozens of sites across the DC metropolitan area, most in MD.  In my teen years, Hot Shoppe drive-in Bethesda was "the" place to go!  Park, call in order on speaker, car-hop would bring order on tray and attach to your car door.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ScarletDove, I remember the Flagship and Hogate's.  When our children were young, my late husband and I made it down to the waterfront to eat seafood at least once every summer. 

Sometimes the visit would coincide with my DH's birthday or mine and be our birthday meal.  It was always exciting to go.

Ah, rum buns.  Yum!   Very fond memories of those two restaurants.

Also, when I worked in D.C. itself,  farewell parties were often held at those restaurants. 

[I suddenly remembered all the restaurants and clubs owned by Ulysses "Blackie" Augur.  He had Blackie's House of Beef, the Black Orchid, the Black Rooster.  What an entrepreneur that guy was!]

Esteemed Contributor

per a 2019 article by Chris Haugh

“When Grace Baumgardner died, Richard took over the Peter Pan Inn, added several additions, and incorporated an elaborate and eclectic décor in an “Old World” style throughout the Inn. He adorned the entire site inside and out with cherubs and statues, high mirrors, and ornate antiques, all of which he personally collected while on travel. There were several dining rooms, including the Peacock and Garden rooms. In the Dolphin Lounge were pillars with dolphins at each end that resembled Orson Welles. Come to find out, they used to be in Orson Welles home in Hollywood; he had the dolphins faces designed to look like him. "

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since we (or at least I am) are on this nostalgia path of restaurants in D.C. and its environs, the craziest and most fun place was La Nicoise in Georgetown.  The waiters were on roller skates and the band would sing funny tunes.  In fact, I bought one of their recordings during one of my visits there.  I recall we took my parents there for their anniversary one year -- they had so much fun.