Honored Contributor

Anyone Else Getting “Mask Rash”?

I'm not going out very much, so I don't have to wear masks for protection against The Virus too often. But even so, I've been getting what l call "mask rash." It's red pimples on my upper cheeks, right under where the top of the mask hits. I wear woven, all-cotton ones that are shaped, not pleated. 

Do any of you have this problem, and if so, what do you do to treat it? I really don't feel like making an appointment with a dermatologist. Woman Frustrated

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Getting “Mask Rash”?

my friend who goes out a lot...always wearing her mask....has mask rash....

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is flat-out maskne.  And I don't wear one very often, wash each time I wear it.  I picked up the Lysol laundry sanitizer to see if that will help.  I can't imagine how bad it would be if I had to go to work every day and wear one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might try Mederma Cleanser (formerly Aqua Glycolic).

Hydrating Facial Cleanser With Glycolic Acid Gently Cleans While Exfoliating And Hydrating..., Mederma AG Facial Cleanser Gently Exfoliates Dry, Dead.

My dermatologist suggested this years ago to me for clogged pores. 

After washing my face, I put it on while taking my shower.  I work as a professional stylist and haven't had any issues.

Also, the Paula's Choice site has gentle products.

Respected Contributor

Might be the detergent causing it, try All Free & Clear...it's recommended by Dermatologists & I use it for my sensitive skin. Also Goggle, mask rash remedies for advice. Good Luck @handygal2. Be well.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I'm not going out very much, so I don't have to wear masks for protection against The Virus too often. But even so, I've been getting what l call "mask rash." It's red pimples on my upper cheeks, right under where the top of the mask hits. I wear woven, all-cotton ones that are shaped, not pleated. 

Do any of you have this problem, and if so, what do you do to treat it? I really don't feel like making an appointment with a dermatologist. Woman Frustrated

@handygal2  If you are wearing washable masks, it may be detergent residue or reaction to any fabric softener on your face, even if unscented/free and clear.

Facial skin can be more sensitive and thinner so your body skin may not react the same way to detergent and softeners.

I don't have a solution in terms of a product so I hope somebody else can help you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't go out often but always wear a mask.  I keep a package of disposable masks in my car because I find them more comfortable than the cloth ones and often easier for me to breath in.  

Respected Contributor

I do have a small red "mask rash" from wearing a mask.  I work in a school so wear one all day everyday. I wear the disposable ones and have a small area below my lip that's red & irritated.  I'm a skincare junkie and have applied different serums / creams on it to no avail.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG , thanks for that suggestion.  I'd totally forgotten my dermatologist recommended the aqua glycolic cleanser probably 20 years ago.  Do you just let it set on your face while showering and then rinse?

Esteemed Contributor

My issues started with the disposable masks which is why I switched to the cloth masks.