Contributor

I so appreciate you all responding. I do have medical and psychiatric professionals involved in my care but they are not available on a Friday night. 
For those of you who reported that you and/or your loved ones suffer, I feel for you as these are debilitating. 
Sending grateful thoughts to you all for all of your prayers, suggestions and assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

This may or not help you, because it is deeper than my anxiety and when mine first comes on, I actually take a brown paper bag and breath into it, and so help me it helps right away.

Mine is not medical, but I understand in today's world it's awful. 

On top of the news and inflation and low income and elderly, I have had a lot of stresses and my BP went up very high.

I had to turn to the bible and that is not for everyone and I will not preach.

I cannot listen to the news except for weather. 

My Dr. found low  b12 and am getting injections once a month, and low iron.

I had a lot of stuff break down in the house which added to the anxiety, major stuff like electricity, breaker box old. etc.

Won't go into it.

I am not getting religious because I don't want this poofed, but just trying to help.  Look up anxiety in the bible and read the scriptures, helped me a lot and I don't belong to any religion or church

I have been very calm lately and know I can't control everything, being a perfectionist.

I read the book of Psalms a lot, it helps me.

This is not from the bible.

JUST For Today.  I WILL BE UNAFRAID.  ESPECIALLY I Will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful. and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Just For Today. I wil have a quiet half hour all by myself, and relax.  During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

I realize yours is mostly medical according to your post, so non of this might help and just suggestions.

I also find if I miss a day of exercise, I feel anxiety.

My prayers are with you.  Hope this doesn't get poofed or critized, just telling what helps me, in my very old age.

I live alone, so no one here to comfort me.  It's up to me and what I am doing is helping me, but mine is not medical.

Honored Contributor

A very small dosage of Xanax does it for me, still working for me for 30 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
  I have anxiety and panic attacks and have for 30 + years.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.
What has helped you with panic attacks?

@kinda silly 

When, Where, and by whom were you medically Diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Attacks 30 years ago?

I was diagnosed, in a hospital Mental Ward, by my Psychiatrist and Neurologist, in the mid 1990's. My diagnosis were: Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder. I spent 7+ days in that Mental Institution getting professional help, and have been taking Prescription Medications along with monthly followup visits since.

To answer "what has helped me"? Reading my above is the best I can offer you. And this: Like an addiction, I do not think I am cured. To me I will always consider myself to be recovering

I have had 2 heart attacks, and my most recent Echocardiogram shows my heart is presently in Congestive Heart Failure. This is where I am currently and I accept it for what is, and as in the past, do whatever is necessary to once again be able to live my active lifestyle.

Seek professional help. Nothing I have typed here is your answer. I am not giving you Medical or Psychological Advice, I am telling you my experiences with those very dark years of my life.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Great advice once again @hckynutjohn  You are right, you need the proper medical professional to manage this type of anxiety. A primary care physician can manage a temporary sudden need to quell anxiety. It happens to some people with a death, or a major life event. It’s meant to be temporary.

If it it’s a long-term management you need to be under the direction of a therapist, or psychiatrist. You need both cognitive therapy in conjunction with the meds. Many times, the meds have to be adjusted to the patients level of comfort.

I hope you are taking good care of yourself CHF is nothing to take lightly.

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.

@kinda silly 

When, Where, and by whom were you medically Diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Attacks 30 years ago?

I was diagnosed, in a hospital Mental Ward, by my Psychiatrist and Neurologist, in the mid 1990's. My diagnosis were: Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder. I spent 7+ days in that Mental Institution getting professional help, and have been taking Prescription Medications along with monthly followup visits since.

To answer "what has helped me"? Reading my above is the best I can offer you. And this: Like an addiction, I do not think I am cured. To me I will always consider myself to be recovering

I have had 2 heart attacks, and my most recent Echocardiogram shows my heart is presently in Congestive Heart Failure. This is where I am currently and I accept it for what is, and as in the past, do whatever is necessary to once again be able to live my active lifestyle.

Seek professional help. Nothing I have typed here is your answer. I am not giving you Medical or Psychological Advice, I am telling you my experiences with those very dark years of my life.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Great advice once again @hckynutjohn  You are right, you need the proper medical professional to manage this type of anxiety. A primary care physician can manage a temporary sudden need to quell anxiety. It happens to some people with a death, or a major life event. It’s meant to be temporary.

If it it’s a long-term management you need to be under the direction of a therapist, or psychiatrist. You need both cognitive therapy in conjunction with the meds. Many times, the meds have to be adjusted to the patients level of comfort.

Not everyone requires cognitive behavorial therapy.  It depends on diagnosis.  Let's not start telling people what their own diagnoses are, since we don't know.  They are only giving us their symptomology and it doesn't mean it's the diagnosis we think @manny2 .  Let's just say they need talk therapy and psychiatric (medical therapy) because that's the right way to discuss this.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@kinda silly I can't relate to your level of stress and anxiety I am sure.  My heart goes out to any of us feeling fear and hopelessness at times.

And I'll toss these thoughts for any reading this who like me sometimes has life get difficult. 

I have to make sure I get a daily dose of something to laugh at or smile about, try to do any small chore that I can feel good about and feel that I accomplished something I then concentrate on, and my faith that there is something greater than me all help get through a hard day.  

You might get a notebook and make a daily habit of writing down what you are feeling and keep positive experience, quotes, thoughts or something that made you happy that day.  Looking back you can see that fears have not come true, and be reminded of your happy experiences.

And do NOT watch the news!  

Remember we are not alone, you are valuable, you can make a difference every day.  Life ebbs and flows, and all of us get through it one day at a time. And the rest of today and tomorrow are opportunities!

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

I'm at my wits end.

@kinda silly 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Not everyone requires cognitive behavorial therapy.  It depends on diagnosis.  Let's not start telling people what their own diagnoses are, since we don't know.  They are only giving us their symptomology and it doesn't mean it's the diagnosis we think @manny2 .  Let's just say they need talk therapy and psychiatric (medical therapy) because that's the right way to discuss this

I can tell by your response you are not in the medical profession. @gertrudecloset  I would spend more time trying to understand what is posted, rather than putting on your boxing gloves.

You can certainly respond, but I won’t. I never meet people in their comfort zone.

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

I'm at my wits end.

@kinda silly 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

Not everyone requires cognitive behavorial therapy.  It depends on diagnosis.  Let's not start telling people what their own diagnoses are, since we don't know.  They are only giving us their symptomology and it doesn't mean it's the diagnosis we think @manny2 .  Let's just say they need talk therapy and psychiatric (medical therapy) because that's the right way to discuss this

I can tell by your response you are not in the medical profession. @gertrudecloset  I would spend more time trying to understand what is posted, rather than putting on your boxing gloves.

You can certainly respond, but I won’t. I never meet people in their comfort zone.

No, I'm not.  I'd bet my home that you aren't either @manny2 .  If you can qualify yourself to give out medical information you should state what your credentials are when giving medical advice.  Since you didn't, I assume you're not in the medical field EITHER.  That's why I don't give medical advice. 

Even if I were in the "medical field" I wouldn't diagnose someone over the internet on a message board.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

I'm at my wits end.

@kinda silly 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

No, I'm not.  I'd bet my home that you aren't either @manny2 .  If you can qualify yourself to give out medical information you should state what your credentials are when giving medical advice.  Since you didn't, I assume you're not in the medical field EITHER.  That's why I don't give medical advice. 

Even if I were in the "medical field" I wouldn't diagnose someone over the internet on a message board.

@gertrudecloset @manny2 

Manny did not "diagnose" anyone and I agree with her-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is very effective in treating anxiety disorders.

The purpose is to redirect the negative thoughts/emotions which can trigger an attack.  If medication is needed in conjunction (and often it is) the combination can bring about significant relief.

Manny is also correct that a primary care doctor may prescribe medicatin for TEMPORARY relief and unfortunately we have seen a major uptick with PCP's continuing prescribing meds when the patient needs to move on to mental health professionals for long term care.

Whether Manny is a professional in the field is not your business.  I saw nothing in her post to indicate that she was passing as one.  She gave clear and concise info and in no way diagnosed anyone.

I believe her post was directed in a generic manner.

I've also learned when people post their credentials they are often called "liars" and not believed, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

I'm at my wits end.

@kinda silly 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

@gertrudecloset @manny2 

Manny did not "diagnose" anyone and I agree with her-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is very effective in treating anxiety disorders.

The purpose is to redirect the negative thoughts/emotions which can trigger an attack.  If medication is needed in conjunction (and often it is) the combination can bring about significant relief.

Manny is also correct that a primary care doctor may prescribe medicatin for TEMPORARY relief and unfortunately we have seen a major uptick with PCP's continuing prescribing meds when the patient needs to move on to mental health professionals for long term care.

Whether Manny is a professional in the field is not your business.  I saw nothing in her post to indicate that she was passing as one.  She gave clear and concise info and in no way diagnosed anyone.

I believe her post was directed in a generic manner.

I've also learned when people post their credentials they are often called "liars" and not believed, too.

I might agree with it too, but I would never tell someone else what treatment protocols they should have.  It's not right to do this.  It's wrong and get people in precarious situations because they come here to discuss problems we might be familiar with but don't have a complete picture on.  Something as serious as this requires care from qualified people and not the many of us who just happen to be familiar with the way we post @Cakers3 .

One thing has nothing to do with the other.  Guessing vs. actual diagnosis.  Let's don't give medical instructions to people.