Super Contributor

Bay leaves.  Non-toxic.  Just toss them around on the floor, in cabinets, on shelves.

Respected Contributor

You can do your own extermination very quickly and easily and for much less cost than hiring an exterminator...and with better results.  I wish I could post links, but anyway...  You can go to domyown .com or doityourselfpestcontrol. com to order these products.  You will get them in about 3 days time--maybe sooner depending on where you live, and there is free ship no matter how much or little you order.  They are child/pet safe after they have dried.  You will need a gallon sprayer that you can pick up at Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc. for the ouside product.

For outside control:  Taurus SC

For inside control:  Phantom II

Both products are non-detectable to ants so they walk over it and take it back to their nests killing all the ants within days.  One application will last several months, so it is economical, as well.  In addition, both products will kill other pests.  You can read about the products along with reviews on the websites.  

If you want more information or "how to" instructions, let me know.

Super Contributor

@Ainhisg, that's another good suggestion. With so many of us having pets with auto-immune problems, anything safe for them is always good.

I keep bay leaves in my cabinets, too, and even in the drawers in my closet and under my bed. Hate bugs, but hate chemicals more.

On the other hand, saw my first ant yesterday, just before company, will keep those traps in mind, for sure. Just in case.

Super Contributor

Yep, have them already and its still cold and snowy here.  I will try some of these suggestions!

Honored Contributor

I have this every year....on my countertops, I use a bleach/water solution on my countertops, which I keep very clean, it's so irritating!

This year I have them on my carpet in the family room.

I used TERRO (spelling). You put several drops on a piece of cardstock (I hide so the dog cannot get to it) it has almost eliminated the problem.

Respected Contributor

Besides spraying and traps, and using peppermint scent, and air tight containers for food, there is a habit I follow, I keep my sugar bowl used for tea and coffee in the refrigerator and not in the cabinet.

Respected Contributor

I use those little plastic bait traps.  Takes care of them in a day

Honored Contributor

We have monthly service from our exterminator; concentrating mainly on our garage, basement, and exterior.   I do not have the main rooms of our house treated.   

Last spring we had issues with the tiny tiny ants in our kitchen.   The exterminator gave us a syringe of Advion ant gel, and I will tell you this stuff is The Bomb!   

I walked in to find hundreds of tiny ants crawling aimlessly on my kitchen floor.  I put a small pea size blob of the ant gel on a piece of paper towel in the corner where I saw several ants, and the magic began.   Literally within seconds, the ants made a beeline for the gel, and died right there.   In less than 5 minutes all of the ants were piled up dead on the gel- - -no ants were still crawling around the kitchen floor.   I have never seen a product work so fast!   We used this product again on ants in the garage, and around the brick on our front steps.   

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetuniawrote:

I get the ants in spring but it's snowing here now.  I handle it myself.  Clean all surfaces in the kitchen, keep it spotless.  I spray outdoors at ground level and around doors and windows.  I put ant traps in cabinets in the kitchen.  

Yes....I just use the ant traps in my kitchen closets...in the back of them....out of sight. Never see ants any more since doing this.  Big lots has great prices on thing like this.

Honored Contributor

Mix orange oil with water and spray the entry points and perimeters. Orange oil is what exterminators use.

Another way is place oatmeal where you see ants. They will eat it and when they drink water the oats will expand and they will burst to death.