Valued Contributor

I have the little ants that are looking for food. I have cleared everything and I keep on spraying. I don't want to pay an exterminator to do a job that I can do. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Yup .. its that time of year ....

Respected Contributor

I get the ants in spring but it's snowing here now.  I handle it myself.  Clean all surfaces in the kitchen, keep it spotless.  I spray outdoors at ground level and around doors and windows.  I put ant traps in cabinets in the kitchen.  

Esteemed Contributor

Grits. Put some grits down where they are and they take it back to the nest. Supposedly when they eat it they blow up and explode and die. I heard this doesn’t work on fire ants but it’s worked for us with just regular ants. Also you could try 1 part Borax to 3 parts cheap syrup or sugar
If using sugar, add enough water to make a syrup like consistency
For instance, I could make up a small batch with 1 teaspoon Borax, 3 teaspoons sugar, and enough water to make it like syrup. Or I could make up a large batch with 1/3 cup borax and 1 cup corn syrup and keep it in a sealed jar to use as needed. Place the ant bait on a flat or shallow surface, such as a piece of cardboard, a used canning lid or a lid from sour cream container. You want to make it easy for the ants to get access.

Super Contributor

DIatomaceous Earth at the entry points (door, window sill). Food grade if you have pets that could get into it. I keep some in one of those plastic ketchup bottles that squirt, from a dollar store. Also good if your pet is exposed to fleas. Amazon or garden store.

Honored Contributor

I get them every spring.  I hate them.

These work fast and they are effective.  They work by killing the whole colony.  Do not  place them where pets can get to them.

FD7DEA6B-F503-4BB1-8049-107A4128B4D0.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

I second the Terro Bait. It takes a couple days, but it gets rid of them!

Honored Contributor

The liquid ant traps always work for me.  Usually, my problem is ants coming into the house under the kitchen sink.  I put a few of the traps under the sink and the ants completely disappear in a few days.  I wish it was quicker but it takes a few days because they take the bait back to the colony where it kills them all.

Respected Contributor

I've used Terro with great results. 

Borax also works the same way .... 

Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbs Borax, and 1.5 C warm 

water.

Soak cotton balls in the mixture, and put them on

ant trails or areas where the ants are coming in.

The sugar attracts the ants, and they’ll take the Borax

with it back to their home.

Honored Contributor

Sorry but I vote to pay someone to get rid of them---all those things that were mentioned to try--didn't work at all for me. Too much hassel and we have been ant free for 5 years. Worth every penny I pay!!!