Honored Contributor

Including more Information from the OP as a thread goes on. . .

I notice occasionally when someone asks for opinions here they don't include all the information about the topic up front, but keep dribbling it out as the thread goes along.

Sometimes, the OP will add facts that totally change the picture, although people have posted replies on what now is basically incorrect assumptions.

My thought is that this isn't really fair to to the people you are asking to give opinions.  Sometimes OP's even come back and criticize posters for making responses that in the light of the new information they just decided to toss out might seem mean or crass.

To me, those are sort of cheap shots. . . I hate to see well-intentioned people waste time and effort to help someone out then be blindsided for it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Including more Information from the OP as a thread goes on. . .

[ Edited ]

@Sooner

I've been caught that way many times over the years. Some later readers(posters) even sending me "not so nice" notifications to let me know.

I am sure I have responded to a well meaning poster that replied at the very beginning of "an opinion or advice" thread, only to realize as it moved on, the OP added more info that almost completely changes the original post for opinions.

Not sure if I have an answer for that one. Too many posts with lots of replies, and like myself, many are probably not overly interested in the thread itself to go back and read them all. Any ideas to run by me? I am drawing a blank here.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I agree with you but the people who need to read things like this aren't going to read them and a lot of the time you never know who you are replying to on the Internet.

Honored Contributor

I mostly see responses that are all over the place and sometimes have nothing to do with what the original poster even posted.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@lovescats

I agree. When I see posts with a dozen, or more, quotes, quoting quotes!  I seldom reply without removing all the "quotes" and leave only the one to whom I am responding. BUTT!  When it gets too hard to figure out who quoted whom with a quote? I usually skip adding anything and move on.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutwrote:

@Sooner

I've been caught that way many times over the years. Some later readers(posters) even sending me "not so nice" notifications to let me know.

I am sure I have responded to a well meaning poster that replied at the very beginning of "an opinion or advice" thread, only to realize as it moved on, the OP added more info that almost completely changes the original post for opinions.

Not sure if I have an answer for that one. Too many posts with lots of replies, and like myself, many are probably not overly interested in the thread itself to go back and read them all. Any ideas to run by me? I am drawing a blank here.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut I just hope that mentioning it might encourage some to think about this when they are posting and try to give the whole picture up front, or at least not come back and scold others and give them some shaming information along with the scolding.  It doesn't help the responding person OR the OP to look or feel good.

Maybe some will think a little more before they post or at least not add new information that will embarrass others.  Maybe it might help prevent that, you never know!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

Me too, the more upfront info would sure help. Updates on certain situations are always, I think, a good thing. I personally like to start a new thread to add additional information. It makes it easier to respond to more who posted without addressing each contributor exclusively.

Now we'll see, eh? Here's hopin!     =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just do not like it when people keep adding to a posters thread,with each post going on and on ,really bothers me alot.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I agree...adding new details after many have voiced their opinions can change a scenario  to something totally different.

Honored Contributor

Hi @goldensrbest, I hope Easter Sunday finds you doing well. Doing great here at our place.

Heck, most of my posts go on and on, many times it shocks me how much I say!  I know what you mean about posts that add on and add on, hopefully most of them are not mine. If so, call me out, sometimes I just can't seem to help myself. My wife tells me that often about my being too detailed oriented. Not sure where or when I picked that up.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)