Honored Contributor

Re: Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

The day not only effected FDNY, NYPD, and those working the towers, it also emotionally and physically effected those with in breathing area of the towers, like myself

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It won't end any time soon.  First responders and others breathed in and were exposed to innumerable toxins.  Cancer can take years, decades even to take hold.  Although, as time goes, the link between certain cancers and 9-11 won't be as obvious or it won't even exist.  

Honored Contributor

My nephew is a fireman and his unit came to NYC to work there the next day or so. Their captain made very certain they wore respirators at all times they were at the site. None of them have become ill. I wonder why others weren't also wearing respirators.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My nephew is a fireman and his unit came to NYC to work there the next day or so. Their captain made very certain they wore respirators at all times they were at the site. None of them have become ill. I wonder why others weren't also wearing respirators.

Some NYC and other area firemen didn't have time to even go to their stations to respond.  They were on the ground running to help save people.

It's an natural instinct that even 'civilians' can have.  The enormity of the what was happening was what sent many to rescue--other than run the other direction. 

And perhaps the debris and dust was too much even for the masks and respirators to work properly.

This reminds me of a marathon my DIL runs in every year (I think she just ran already or will run it soon) called the Tunnel to the Tower 5K.  It's a memorial for a fireman who ran in full gear from his station (because all trucks had left already) to the towers. 

So, I'm sure almost everyone like your nephew, who was sent afterwards was fully equipped, but I'm sure many had their feet on the ground to help in any way they could.

Respected Contributor

Christine Whitman head of the EPA at that time said that the air was safe!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all wrote:

@Justice4all- I was just going to post the same thing!! I was just trying to remember her last name when I read your post. She assured everyone that the air was safe, and wanted all the residents of the area to return to their homes in Battery Park City and surrounding areas.

It just makes me sick.

And to the poster above who wanted to know facts and figures, frankly I don't know and I don't care. All I know is that these first responders dropped what they were doing (many of them weren't even on duty that day) and ran toward the towers instead of away from them. When people were running down the stairs, they were running up.

Those that survived the collapse of the towers plus those who worked tirelessly on the pile for days, weeks and months are the ones who are dying now, several of them in their 40's. That is not a normal life span (check your statistics).

Thank goodness the Zadroga Act is still being funded so that these survivors who are so ill can receive compensation for their sicknesses.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Some NYC and other area firemen didn't have time to even go to their stations to respond.  They were on the ground running to help save people.

It's an natural instinct that even 'civilians' can have.  The enormity of the what was happening was what sent many to rescue--other than run the other direction. 

And perhaps the debris and dust was too much even for the masks and respirators to work properly.

This reminds me of a marathon my DIL runs in every year (I think she just ran already or will run it soon) called the Tunnel to the Tower 5K.  It's a memorial for a fireman who ran in full gear from his station (because all trucks had left already) to the towers. 

So, I'm sure almost everyone like your nephew, who was sent afterwards was fully equipped, but I'm sure many had their feet on the ground to help in any way they could.

@Lucky Charm- congratulations to your daughter-in-law for undertaking this challenge. The Tunnel to Towers "Tower Climb" was done on June 4. Each participant had to climb to the 102nd floor. There was a tie for first place with two winners, who completed the climb in 12 minutes, 19 seconds! How amazing is that?

The Tunnel to Towers Run will take place in September.

Respected Contributor

Thousands of people who were exposed on that day have come down with exposure-related illnesses. I believe 1,000-2,000 have died as a result.

My neighbor and friend, a Department of Sanitation worker, who volunteered at "The Pile" in the aftermath of the attack, was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (he's a non-smoker) a few days ago. He has two young children and takes care of his elderly mother.

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Justice4all wrote:

@Justice4all- I was just going to post the same thing!! I was just trying to remember her last name when I read your post. She assured everyone that the air was safe, and wanted all the residents of the area to their homes in Battery Park City and surrounding areas.

It just makes me sick.

And to the poster above who wanted to know facts and figures, frankly I don't know and I don't care. All I know is that these first responders dropped what they were doing (many of them weren't even on duty that day) and ran toward the towers instead of away from them. When people were running down the stairs, they were running up.

Those that survived the collapse of the towers plus those who worked tirelessly on the pile for days, weeks and months are the ones who are dying now, several of them in their 40's. That is not a normal life span (check your statistics).

Thank goodness the Zadroga Act is still being funded so that these survivors who are so ill can receive compensation for their sicknesses.

@sunala

I.45 million tons of debris from the WTC were sent to the Fresh Kills landfill in Staten Island to be sifted through for years, without proper protection.  This was a catastrophe and protection was overlooked, even lied about as in the case of Christine Whitman.  So much blame to go around.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Thousands of people who were exposed on that day have come down with exposure-related illnesses. I believe 1,000-2,000 have died as a result.

My neighbor and friend, a Department of Sanitation worker, who volunteered at "The Pile" in the aftermath of the attack, was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (he's a non-smoker) a few days ago. He has two young children and takes care of his elderly mother.

@SaRina- so many sad stories such as your neighbor/friend. It's just too sad. I'm very sorry.