Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

Sadly, we can add Luis A. Palermo to the list of those first responders who lost their lives due to working on "the pile" at the World Trade Center.

"It took almost 16 years for the time bomb inside Luis Palermo Jr. to kill him."

The heroic Nassau County cop, a victim of 9/11-related cancer contracted at Ground Zero, was celebrated for his selflessness at a Saturday funeral just two days before the latest anniversary of the 2001 attack.

“He was a highly respected cop and beloved by his fellow officers,” said police Deputy Inspector Gregory Abruzzo at a jam-packed Queens funeral.

“Lou was very modest when talking about his work, but just the opposite when it came to talking about his family.

A crowd of friends, family and blue-clad colleagues gathered outside the Christ Tabernacle Church in Glendale to honor the well-respected officer.

Palermo, 50, fell ill about five years ago — more than a decade after he came to Lower Manhattan and worked on the toxic pile of rubble left by the collapsed Twin Towers.

Palermo was not alone among delayed 9/11 victims as the 16th anniversary loomed Monday.

NYPD Officer Diane Halbran, 60, and New York State police auto mechanic Christopher Hobart both died in recent days from 9/11-related cancer, authorities said."

That's THREE more deaths from the effects of September 11. When will it end??

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@sunala

The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@sunala

The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.

@Justice4all  All the unsung heroes.Smiley Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

Christine Whitman head of the EPA at that time said that the air was safe!

@Justice4all- yeah right, sure it was. She should have been brought to justice for that huge lie. Shaking my head.

Honored Contributor

Every time I read about another tragic death as a result of the 9/11 horror, my heart breaks .  All of those who were there to help and give their time and compassion are heroes.  So many went and many have suffered and will continue to suffer from the toxic environment.  

Whitman did insist there wan't any danger from the toxic air, those of us who knew better knew that was a lie.  She has since admitted she was wrong.

I will be passing by the area of the 9/11 attack tomorrow on my way to an appointment.  Seeing the Freedom Tower is always a reminder of what was and how sad I am for all the families who lost someone and to those who still are losing loved ones from that horrific attack.

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Thousands of people who were exposed on that day have come down with exposure-related illnesses. I believe 1,000-2,000 have died as a result.

My neighbor and friend, a Department of Sanitation worker, who volunteered at "The Pile" in the aftermath of the attack, was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (he's a non-smoker) a few days ago. He has two young children and takes care of his elderly mother.

Adding to my own post: He went into hospice a month ago and passed away one week later.  Add another to the list.....

Honored Contributor

9-11-2001 will forever be a day and date, that anyone old enough on that day to fully understand, it will never forget. So many stories, so much sadness. Along with that were the heroics of so many, including those on Flight 93. 

I won't get in to any discussion beyond the above because all caring people feel exactly the same, sad and thankful there were so many hero's.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

And when these earnest workers put their contaminated clothing in the wash with those of their families, could not the carcinogenic materials combine in the wash to contaminate other family members?

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The day not only effected FDNY, NYPD, and those working the towers, it also emotionally and physically effected those with in breathing area of the towers, like myself

So many who lived or worked in the immediate area were subjected to toxic material.  And how far did that toxic cloud travel...there could be other diseases, not necessarily cancer, related to 911.  Even those who are ill might not make the connection.

Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

And when these earnest workers put their contaminated clothing in the wash with those of their families, could not the carcinogenic materials combine in the wash to contaminate other family members?

@Justice4all- That's a good question, but I have no answer.