Esteemed Contributor

Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to say that there's been another death as a result of Sept 11, 2001.

EDITED TO CHANGE HIS NAME; Michael Hance is the name of the deceased. Peter Hance is his brother. Sorry about that.

Peter (MICHAEL) Hance, a 17-year officer of the NYPD who was a hero on Sept 11, passed away from brain cancer yesterday. He leaves a wife and two young daughters. 

Officer Hance was known not only for his bravery, but on a lighter note, dancing at the Pride Parade last year, twerking and having a good time. You can google it if you'd like to watch him having some fun. 

The evil lives on, and I'm so sad for him and his family. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Sept 11-Related Cancer Death -- When will it End?

God rest his soul

Esteemed Contributor

I hate these stories. We all knew it would increase the cancer deaths but now that they are starting to show up it is sad. There was that famous picture of the black lady covered in debris that died last year. She was in her early 40's

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

I read the story this morning in the local newspaper.How sad that horrible event is still claiming lives!! Officer Hance sounded like such an awesome person.So young too, only 44 years old.He left behind 2 young daughters!!

My heart is breaking for his family!!

Respected Contributor

Hi Sunny. One of my memories of that horrible day was that was when I first met you, here on these boards. You lived close and were able to give me a gut understanding of what it was really like there so close to ground zero. I can only believe that it is only going to get worse for the next several decades. It can be compared to the military servants who are dying all these years later since the Vietnam war from Agent Orange. I lost my only sibling to Agent Orange more then 20 years after the war and when the military agent presented me with his flag at the funeral I told him that the names of all those still being lost should go on the Vietnam Memorial! I feel the same about all of the lives being lost now to 9/11. They should be honored in the memorial park. Small consolation...but at least an acknowledgement of their sacrifice for our country. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

So sad, God rest his soul 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cody2 wrote:
Hi Sunny. One of my memories of that horrible day was that was when I first met you, here on these boards. You lived close and were able to give me a gut understanding of what it was really like there so close to ground zero. I can only believe that it is only going to get worse for the next several decades. It can be compared to the military servants who are dying all these years later since the Vietnam war from Agent Orange. I lost my only sibling to Agent Orange more then 20 years after the war and when the military agent presented me with his flag at the funeral I told him that the names of all those still being lost should go on the Vietnam Memorial! I feel the same about all of the lives being lost now to 9/11. They should be honored in the memorial park. Small consolation...but at least an acknowledgement of their sacrifice for our country. Smiley Sad

@cody2- I remember that time very well. There were others here who lived so much closer than I did, and saw the carnage up close, whether from the streets or their apartments or across the river in Brooklyn.

I am so sorry about your brother. May his memory be a blessing to you and your family. We have a friend who is suffering from the effects of Agent Orange as well (isn't it strange that we both capitalized the A and the O)?

Thank you so much for commenting, and sharing your personal story. I'm really so sorry xoxox

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Peter Hance,

Image result for rest in peace images

Honored Contributor

May his family find Peace.

Blessings to you Officer Hance.  Thank you for all you did for so many people.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Sunala, please explain.  I did the arithmetic and 17 years ago was 2000.  He would have just been a new hire or ?????  

It is sad to loose a spouse if you loved them.  I have to question if the incident was what lead up to his passing.  So many Vietnam vets were exposed to many dangerous chemicals and a good many are still alive - my husband included. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust