Super Contributor

Re: Another Rant About The Post Office

One postal employee (at least) is door-knob challenged.  Just dumps the packages in the area of the door steps.  Next will be the tossing of packages from the moving truck into the middle of the street.  I try to order so things will come on Wednesday - Friday.  Missed this time and packages will come on Tuesday.  That's an iffy day.  Mondays are the real problem days.  Unless you offer a compliment, the e-mail option is a no-go.

Respected Contributor

This just happened to me a few days ago....not the 1st time either!  I printed out the screen shot of it being "delivered" and took that up to the Post office/Delivery Supervisor to investigate for me.  Sure enough it showed up a day later.  I have no idea WHY they are doing this as a common practice.  I had called the sender of package the same day to report to them I didn't get it and would follow up with Post Office just to protect myself.

It is a huge PITA to do this....I am tired of it.  

Honored Contributor

our post office is ok i guess. when you have to go in, lines are very long an can take well over half hour to get what you need done.

the carriers are 50-50. my carrier will not deliver anything., you have to pick up any large package from postal office. i have no idea why he won't deliver anything, but i have asked, and it was like asking him to walk across Niagra falls on a highwire with no safety line

Honored Contributor

@viva923wrote:

our post office is ok i guess. when you have to go in, lines are very long an can take well over half hour to get what you need done.

the carriers are 50-50. my carrier will not deliver anything., you have to pick up any large package from postal office. i have no idea why he won't deliver anything, but i have asked, and it was like asking him to walk across Niagra falls on a highwire with no safety line

@viva923  That ruins the convenience of online ordering.  I order so that I don't have to shop and wait in lines.  If I had to wait in line at the post office to pick up my packages I'd be there every day.  I like to order cat litter so that I don't have to carry it as far.  I wouldn't order it if I had to go from the post office to my car with a 25 lb. box.  That's kind of a long walk.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

NickNack, I'm shaking my head and laughing - with you, and not at you. A few years ago I had ordered a piece of jewelry for my daughter which required a signature. It was due to arrive on a Saturday. My husband was outside mowing the lawn and I was inside doing housework. The mail came, and no jewelry. I checked on-line for the status and it said something like, and I'm paraphrasing, "no one home." Monday morning I called the P.O. and asked what happened as we certainly were home. Turns out the mailman "forgot" to deliver it and there's no code in his scanner for that. So when he got back to the P.O. and realized he hadn't made the delivery, he used the "not home" code. For the amount of mail that criss-crosses the world in a timely manner, I guess we just have to go with the flow when they mess up.
Trusted Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

My package that USPS tracking said was delivered yesterday (but wasn't) was delivered today.  I had another package delivered today, and I guess they saw that one and delivered it, too.  I'm glad to have it but wish they didn't feel like they have to mark everything as delivered whether they are or not.  That makes it really hard to prove you never received something to the company who sent it.

The device the carriers use to scan packages have GPS. USPS has access to additional tracking information, which includes the GPS coordinates where the package was scanned. They're supposed to scan the package at the delivery location. If a package was delivered to the wrong address, they can check for that. Sometimes they improperly scan before delivery to make it appear they completed their required deliveries for the day.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeinawrote:

@NickNackwrote:

My package that USPS tracking said was delivered yesterday (but wasn't) was delivered today.  I had another package delivered today, and I guess they saw that one and delivered it, too.  I'm glad to have it but wish they didn't feel like they have to mark everything as delivered whether they are or not.  That makes it really hard to prove you never received something to the company who sent it.

The device the carriers use to scan packages have GPS. USPS has access to additional tracking information, which includes the GPS coordinates where the package was scanned. They're supposed to scan the package at the delivery location. If a package was delivered to the wrong address, they can check for that. Sometimes they improperly scan before delivery to make it appear they completed their required deliveries for the day.

That's good to know @Caffeina.  I didn't realize the scanners had GPS, but I'll remember that!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

You'll get it Monday.  That has happened to me more than once.  I don't know, I don't care why.  Life's short and I see no point in getting worked up over something that doesn't matter.  

Shoekitty

to you maybe.  Why so darn condecending?