Honored Contributor

Another Rant About The Post Office

I signed up for tracking with the post office on an order I was expecting from Jet dot com.  This morning it said it was out for delivery.  The postman drove by and didn't leave a package, so I went outside and waited for him to come down the other side of the street.  He said he didn't have the package, and maybe they loaded it on the wrong truck or the post office still had it.  He said I would probably get it on Monday.  He suggested I call the Post Office.  I did call, and they didn't answer.  I knew they wouldn't.  They never do.

The next time I went to my computer I had an e-mail from the post office that my package had been left at my front door.  I could see him the entire time he was coming down the street, and he didn't get out at any other house.  I just don't understand how it can be scanned as delivered when it really wasn't.  It really irks me.  Now if I don't ever get it I really don't have any recourse.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Another Rant About The Post Office

I'd give it until Monday to see if it shows up, then visit USPS.  I find on the weekend packages don't always come by the regular mail person.

Trusted Contributor

This happened to me once.  Had a package that said was delivered but nothing on my doorstep.   2 days later I had a knock on my door and a very kind gentleman from 5 streets over said my package was delivered to him.  He has same house number but a different street name.  Hopefully it will show up.

Respected Contributor

As to the "delivered to your doorstep" nonsense, I had one recently where Amazon took a picture of the delivered package and when I tracked the package, I saw it.  They asked how I liked this new service.  I noted that the picture was of my next door neighbor's doorstep (I recognized the wreath).  At least I knew where to find it.

Interestingly, they have never taken another picture of any of their deliveries to me.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18wrote:

I'd give it until Monday to see if it shows up, then visit USPS.  I find on the weekend packages don't always come by the regular mail person.

@GCR18  I know they don't always come by the regular mail person.  What bothers me is it says delivered when it wasn't.  I'll bet it's still at the Post Office but don't understand how it was scanned "delivered" when I spoke to the postman and it wasn't in his truck.  It just irritates me.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNutwrote:

This happened to me once.  Had a package that said was delivered but nothing on my doorstep.   2 days later I had a knock on my door and a very kind gentleman from 5 streets over said my package was delivered to him.  He has same house number but a different street name.  Hopefully it will show up.

That happens between me and my neighbor a few streets over quite a bit.  Same house number, similar looking street name.  We now have each other's email addresses just to say, "I got your package and will drop it off on your doorstep."  It doesn't help to notify the post office, ever.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

You'll get it Monday.  That has happened to me more than once.  I don't know, I don't care why.  Life's short and I see no point in getting worked up over something that doesn't matter.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I understand.  You don't know if it really delivered somewhere else or if they still have it.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack- I agree that it's not acceptable.  How are you expected to know, if it's been delivered to the wrong address?  Or that it will "be delivered on Monday"?

I'd call the 1-800 number for the post office and at least raise the issue.  They can do more to investigate what has happened to your package and you'll have made them aware that, even though it says delivered, it hasn't been delivered to you.

Calling the local post office number often does no good.

Honored Contributor

@Veneziawrote:

@NickNack- I agree that it's not acceptable.  How are you expected to know, if it's been delivered to the wrong address?  Or that it will "be delivered on Monday"?

I'd call the 1-800 number for the post office and at least raise the issue.  They can do more to investigate what has happened to your package and you'll have made them aware that, even though it says delivered, it hasn't been delivered to you.

Calling the local post office number often does no good.

@Venezia  I called the post office, and the hold time was 50 minutes so I hung up.  I tried to send them an e-mail, but it won't go through without an address for the sender.  Since I ordered from Jet dot com but the item was coming through a third party I don't know the address.  Oh well.  Frustrating, but I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

-Henry David Thoreau