Respected Contributor

Re: Another Florida Shooting

I live 45 minutes from the landing. The shooting is all that is on the news. They are saying the survivors are going to be OK. 4 dead though. This is crazy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oostende wrote:

I am happy to speak with you, @dooBdoo.  You are unequivocally wrong about the intent of the Second Ammendment.  It is quite clear.  In fact, if you know anything of history, and anything of the founders, then there is no room for discussion.  

Perhaps we can agree that the Supreme Court is the ultimate arbiter of law in the United States.  It is they who interpret the Constitution and we shall leave them to it.

I have yet to hear you address any of the other points in my initial post.  People hunt for food in the United States.  Ever go to an Indian rez?  

How about protection from wildlife?  Not everyone lives on Fifth Avenue.

By all means, talk.  I'm listening.

I know I'm not wrong about the Second Amendment, so let's agree to disagree about that.   There's always room for discussion, because the founding fathers purposefully gave us laws that could be debated and amended as time went by and society's needs changed.   Precisely why, as you say, we have a Supreme Court to interpret.    I couldn't address all the issues because my post was growing too long.   I do come from a background in rural America, my great-grandfather was a Native American, and most of my relatives own and use firearms and a large percentage of them hunt, fish, and I totally understand and embrace that environment.   I've already said in the thread that I am not a proponent of taking all guns away.   Again, this is not a clear, simple issue, and I think the attempt for us to make it so is a problem.   I've never disclosed a lot of detailed personal information on these forums about who or where I am, and don't want to now...   I don't think it's that pertinent to the discussion.    However, I can say that I've never lived on Fifth Avenue, but I've visited there and I value the opinions of those Americans just as much as the opinions of those living in my native rural communities.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I'm tired, truly exhausted. All I can do here is give a thumbs up (hearts) to those I believe express the most civilized and humane thoughts. Keep on keeping on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Another spoiled brat didn't get his way. We need parents that teach respect for life, and for others.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I'm tired, truly exhausted. All I can do here is give a thumbs up (hearts) to those I believe express the most civilized and humane thoughts. Keep on keeping on.

I could have written your post @suzyQ3.

I've hearted those who speak truth to power. I've gritted my teeth at the meme-speakers.

These arguments every time there is another mass shooting are becoming as spirit sucking as politicians saying "thoughts and prayers".

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

David Katz has been identified as the gunman who

opened fire during a Madden NFL 19 video game

tournament in Jacksonville, leaving four dead, including

the suspect.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department confirmed

that suspect David Katz was dead at the scene, and they

initially searched whether there were any other shooters

before reporting that Katz had acted alone. He reportedly

took his own life.

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  'On the other hand', many, many years ago when I visited London, there were police who were called 'Bobbies'.  They only carried wooden batons (or whatever they were called).  No guns. 

I'd like to know what happened when and how 'things changed'. 

@ROMARY 90% of London bobbies still do not carry guns.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

David Katz has been identified as the gunman who

opened fire during a Madden NFL 19 video game

tournament in Jacksonville, leaving four dead, including

the suspect.

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Department confirmed

that suspect David Katz was dead at the scene, and they

initially searched whether there were any other shooters

before reporting that Katz had acted alone. He reportedly

took his own life.

It appears he was 20 and you can't legaly own a gun in FL unless you are 21.  Who's gun was he using?

Valued Contributor

I guess we have come to an end in our discussion, @dooBdoo.  There seem to be no further ideas to discuss.

I wish you well, although I will refrain from keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  Smiley Wink 

Respected Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

I do not know what stops a bad guy with a gun, other than a good guy with a gun.  I'm pretty sure another law won't do it.  In fact, it is illegal to shoot people in all 50 states, which pretty much tells you all you need to know about the regard shooters hold for the law.

Guns are just tools.  We have seen terrorists use fertilizer (Timothy McVeigh), airplanes (9/11), and vehicles to mow down unsuspecting pedestrians.  (Too numerous to cite, but easy to find.)

Besides killing humans, guns are also used to protect humans.  I live near Grand Teton National Park.  A grizzly just attacked a 10-year-old boy a few days ago.  He was hiking on a trail.  She was thought to be protecting her cub.  The grizz was misinformed.  The boy was just out for a hike with his family.

We had a cougar living in my neighborhood all last winter.  The things are numerous this year.  Lots of folks carry guns to protect themselves, their companion animals, and their children.  It's not a bad idea.

I grew up on an Indian reservation.  Most of my cousins are still there.  They depend on the meat they get from hunting.  The tribe lets members hunt year-round.

Don't get me started on the fallacy that the Founding Fathers were only interested in a standing army.  Their own words and letters make it clear that they intended a well-armed populace to be a deterrent to an authoritarian governent that disregarded the rights and freedoms of the people it is supposed to represent.

And for the record, I am in favor of thoughts and prayers for the wounded and slain and their families.  This world could use all the help it can get.  

Great post.