Trusted Contributor

Re: Another Big Clean Out & Throw.

I have been working on my very messy closet on and off when I have the energy. I have 2 trash bags of clothes and shoes to give when we get a chance. My ultimate goal is to get to my junk room. There is so much in there I don't know what to do with. Most of it is really good stuff, but it can't be located when we need it. I hate having a room like that. I hope  this year we will find a way to organize it. When the hurricane passed, someone had to come in and take pics of every room. I was so embarrassed! 

I love reading about others who are getting rid of their clutter. Thanks for the inspiration.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I did a big Fall and Christmas decor purge this year. I ended up with 5 empty bins....

I need to go through my closet...I saw things that still had tags on them that I got for a "good price". I am not buyng anything new if I can help it..

It is a good feeling to get rid of stuff you never use.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

For many years I have dropped off at Goodwill, Salvation Army had AmVets pick stuff up.  I have never missed anything I donated. 

The only thing I gave away then thought "I wonder if that was worth $" was a Chrissy Doll from the 70's. You pull her hair and it grows. 

@scatcat 

I had that doll! 

Honored Contributor

Stuff really seems to collect over the years. Clothing/shoes/accessories/jewelry/makeup aren't things I am ever over burdened with, because I just don't care for or have interest in those things. I have the very basics that I need and no more. 

But home decor and dishes/serveware are my addiction, and even though I keep stuff moving out, there seems to be more than when I started each time I do it. 

I think my downfall is that I have a basement. And I use it to it's fullest extent. I know if I didn't have that space, I would not let so much accumulate.

Basements, a curse and a blessing all rolled into one!

Honored Contributor

@scatcat   I had a Chrissy doll, loved her!

Do you remember the Thumbelina doll?  You wound her up and she moved slowly her body like a real baby.

Honored Contributor

Soon after the clean out new clothes will be purchased...made of lesser grade fabrics and quality. 

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

My DH has not cleaned out his closet in the 17 years we have lived in this house and it was a nightmare and his side was starting to crowd out my side. I counted and he had 80+ pairs of pants (yes - he can't resist a good price). I explained to him that he would have more room if he were to hang his pants lengthwise instead of folding them over the hanger. So we ordered a ton of the velvet hangers with pant clips and he has been going through everything. So far he has found 10 pants, a suit and two sports jackets that no longer fit.

Next come the shirts. Besides the ones on hangers I estimate that he has at least 60 brand new shirts that have never been opened. I asked him what I'm supposed to do with them all if he kicks off before I do. He said to throw them in his coffin!

Lord help me!

Sounds like my father-in-law.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@scatcat   I had a Chrissy doll, loved her!

Do you remember the Thumbelina doll?  You wound her up and she moved slowly her body like a real baby.

@Mom2Dogs 
Haha! I do remember that doll! What a blast from the past

Esteemed Contributor

@Tuffcookie wrote:

I completely understand! I can't stand it when my closets get out of hand.  I give my better stuff to my sister so she and her 2 adult daughters can take what they want. The stuff left over, goes to Goodwill. I love when I can open the closet door and see organization! Yes

Me too.  It's so nice to see what I have - then I don't buy duplicates.