Esteemed Contributor

Another Big Clean Out & Throw.

DD is on vacation this week and for the last two days we have been on a tear getting rid of stuff.

She just left with the HRV full of bags (10) full of clothes to go to Goodwill. Denim & Co. casual clothes, Issac Mizrahi sweaters, Linea, Susan Graver, clothes from Avenue & Macy's, all in great condition.......gone.

I found several pair of D&Co. moleskin pants.  Yes, the original ones. Still looked good.  I kept a black pair and a navy pair. Good enough for around the house or running for the mail.  They have to be 15 years old.

I found a B. Makowsky brown handbag, perfect condition, I don't remember buying.

We called our garbage hauler and told them we will have 4 extra bags, stuff not worth taking to Goodwill.

It is nuts the amount of stuff I had. And this is not my first clean out.

Super Contributor

Re: Another Big Clean Out & Throw.

I completely understand! I can't stand it when my closets get out of hand.  I give my better stuff to my sister so she and her 2 adult daughters can take what they want. The stuff left over, goes to Goodwill. I love when I can open the closet door and see organization! 

Esteemed Contributor

You have lots of company.

January is a great time for a big cleanout. I took my SUV full of bags to a clothing and household goods drive yesterday. Most were from DS & DDIL's home, but combined we had at least 10 large bags full of stuff, not including the bag I dropped off at Goodwill earlier in the week, and I do this every January.

I definitely plan to cut WAY back on the clothing purchases, which should not be too hard as it's been a long time since I have seen something I must have or need for an event that does not exist at this time.

Doesn't it feel good to clear out the excess from your house, especially following the holidays?

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva   We took a load of kitchen/household stuff to Goodwill in October. When we unloaded it onto the back loading dock a worker, masked and 12 ft. away commented, "it's all clean."

Yes, it all went through the dishwasher or was handwashed.

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations...................I've thrown out closet stuff over time so in good shape there........but the basement work bench needed help.  Thought I was ready to call junk truck;but decided to add old painting stuff - garden over supply.

Almost done!  (Almost)

Honored Contributor

We are starting to do this this week.  We did it almost 10 years ago, it needs to be done again because it looks the same if not worse.  

I would say 99% of it is my husbands junk and he's overwhelmed as to where to start.  I keep telling him not to leave it up to me because all I would do is rent a dumpster and hire 2 or 3 guys that work for my daughter at the restaurant.

Respected Contributor

For many years I have dropped off at Goodwill, Salvation Army had AmVets pick stuff up.  I have never missed anything I donated. 

The only thing I gave away then thought "I wonder if that was worth $" was a Chrissy Doll from the 70's. You pull her hair and it grows. 

Respected Contributor

And when I do this, I ask myself "why did I buy this stuff?"

Was it boredom, impulse, or maybe just not knowing my closet?

Honored Contributor

For me, I had some times I bought clothes for, and something happened and changed the whole plan.  So, that's how it goes to the back of the closet.  Or overtime, clothes styles change.  My husband has a suit or two that he never wears, needed for say a funeral.  He bought an expensive aviator jacket...never wore it, too big and too hot.  We get stuff for events that never or rarely take place, or no need for the fancy clothes on a regular basis it becomes the same ones repeatedly in retirement. Now with staying in, you really see that.  

Respected Contributor

My DH has not cleaned out his closet in the 17 years we have lived in this house and it was a nightmare and his side was starting to crowd out my side. I counted and he had 80+ pairs of pants (yes - he can't resist a good price). I explained to him that he would have more room if he were to hang his pants lengthwise instead of folding them over the hanger. So we ordered a ton of the velvet hangers with pant clips and he has been going through everything. So far he has found 10 pants, a suit and two sports jackets that no longer fit.

Next come the shirts. Besides the ones on hangers I estimate that he has at least 60 brand new shirts that have never been opened. I asked him what I'm supposed to do with them all if he kicks off before I do. He said to throw them in his coffin!

Lord help me!