Esteemed Contributor

I was only interested in finding a contractor with good reviews.  They did steer you to those who had a coupon though... It just wasn't something i was interested in but I'm sure others used that feature.  

I was emailed and called frequently asking for reviews until i asked them to stop calling.  

My membership is active but as i said, i didn't find it useful since they starting making changes to the site.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I've been a member for a few years, used some of her recommended suppliers - no problem.

Now I'm getting notices that I'm eligible for a Class Action suit related to the company.

Class Action - Guess you can do nothing and still qualify for one.

@Drythe and anyone else who received that notice. I did, too. Everyone who had a membership in a defined time frame will receive it.

I skimmed it, and the gist of it was an allegation about companies getting preference in listing or some such thing. It didn't seem to be about members themselves.

I I had signed up, I might have received five or ten dollars. I didn't bother.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I joined Angie's List years ago when you had to pay.  I don't use them a lot, but have good experiences when I do use them.

First, I only use A rated companies with lots of reviews. All categories - except price - must have the highest rating.  Then I read all the reviews before making a selection.

i found a great plumber when I had a water leak and my regular plumber would not even answer my phone calls. I also found the electrical company that rewired my house (an electrician friend had done some potentially dangerous repair work, that I was completely unaware of).

I have never had a problem with any of the companies I

pick.  So for me, Angie's List has been very useful.  

One thing I do not like: they recently redesigned their website and I find it difficult to navigate. It was fine before.

@ Montana, I'm glad I'm not alone. I checked the site after not renewing a while back because I heard that they were now free.

But the site is a mess.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I recently bought a new home in a new-to-me area, and needed a lot of work done.

A guy at Lowes told me to check out porch.com, which ended up being a huge help.

It was easy! Go on the site & list what you need to have done, whether it's installing new electrical plugs, plumbing or lighting fixtures, etc.

Not only will contractors be listed who can perform the various jobs, but they call YOU.

I put in the info for 'my project' at about 9 p.m. one night, & by 8a.m the following morning I'd been called by every contractor I needed.

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

I paid to join awhile back to find a good dentist.  I did not know that medical reviews were available at "additional" fee.  I wasn't pleased with Angie or her list.  

Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I recently bought a new home in a new-to-me area, and needed a lot of work done.

A guy at Lowes told me to check out porch.com, which ended up being a huge help.

It was easy! Go on the site & list what you need to have done, whether it's installing new electrical plugs, plumbing or lighting fixtures, etc.

Not only will contractors be listed who can perform the various jobs, but they call YOU.

I put in the info for 'my project' at about 9 p.m. one night, & by 8a.m the following morning I'd been called by every contractor I needed.

Ohhhhhhhh, thank YOU so much.  I haven't heard of this one.  I most certainly will try it.  Thumbtack has a similar set up as well as home advisor.  I think my primary problem is there are no bona fied businesses in my area.  There was a time when so many of them sprung up (illegally) and were put out of business.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

I paid to join awhile back to find a good dentist.  I did not know that medical reviews were available at "additional" fee.  I wasn't pleased with Angie or her list.  

That's interesting.  They do claim to let you review just about every service there is.  I'd have to cross check things such as doctors and dentists to make sure they're in my plan though.

Thanks for the heads up.

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

I, too, had problems with Angie's List -- esp that qutomatic renewal. I finally got someone on a chat line and told her I was printing out her replies, which were evasive at best. Tried to pin her down on various points like telling her I had copies of an email canceling the service, etc. Finally got a refund and I'm off their email list.

I also got a notice about the class action suit: it appears they were paying advertisers on the site. I believe I'll get $5 as my portion. I'll take it!