Respected Contributor

Re: American Community Survey 2021?

I have never heard of this survey. Sounds intrusive and like an invasion of privacy. I would just pretend I never got it.

Honored Contributor

I remember getting one of these in the past.  The questions were geared more toward local conditions and issues.  I filled it out and sent it back.

Honored Contributor

The survey provides current data about all communities every year, rather than once every 10 years. It is sent to a small percentage of the population on a rotating basis throughout the decade. No household will receive the survey more often than once every five years.

Information from the survey generates data that help determine how more than $675 billion in federal and state funds are distributed each year.

When you respond to the ACS, you are doing your part to help your community plan for hospitals and schools, support school lunch programs, improve emergency services, build bridges, and inform businesses looking to add jobs and expand to new markets, and more.

via census.gov

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I have never received one speaking of sexuality. That's personal information. I would not go there...
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do it. I don't volunteer any private information I am not required to by law. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me, the sexuality questions lessen the credibility (even if required by law) so if I were to fill it out my responses would be 'none of your business!!'

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

To me, the sexuality questions lessen the credibility (even if required by law) so if I were to fill it out my responses would be 'none of your business!!'

I would probably answer the same way or maybe answer "don't know."  What does that question have to do with community planning? Some of the other questions might be OK, but the government tends to get nosy at times. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I handle affirmative action obligations for my company and use the data from the American Community Survey for things that are not covered by the US Census. It is useful to all companies as a way to compare the surrounding recruiting area for each of our locations to our company to establish benchmarks.

Other businesses use this information for other things to understand the makeup of the community around them where they plan to put a retail store, as an example.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I never received the Community Survey in the mail. No one has ever come to the house to obtain information, either. The only one I filled out was the original Census online. 

“Why should I care about posterity?  What’s posterity ever done for me?

@teganslaw 

Well, if you have children and grandchildren they are you posterity.

I have neither, but for the same reason, I pay a good deal of school tax.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

During the long pandemic shut down,

so many here expressed Major, Repeated concern

that we needed to re-open schools, etc. Right away

because so many children were being Abused at home.

Now people don’t seem know why there might be sexuality concerns to address in our communities?

SMH

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras