Super Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime

[ Edited ]

I have been a Prime member for about three years. I am very happy with the product selection and the service.  I recently finished watching the first season of Amazon's "Z" series on Amazon Video.  I am looking forward to watching the third season of the Bosch series very soon.  When I first joined Prime, I watched 95 free episodes of the Good Wife within about a six week period (I never watched it on CBS).  

Jeff bought/saved the Washington Post a few years ago.  He is a very civic-minded billionaire.  I enjoy using Amazon Smile which allows me to direct some of Amazon's money to charities of my choice via my product purchases. His love for the printed word brought e-Books into our everyday lives.  I bought a Kindle when it was first introduced, and I now use the Kindle app on all of my devices. I'm glad he bought Audible a few years ago (Kindle-Audible combos are great).  B&N had an audiobook download service, but they dropped that a while back.

Honored Contributor

I really don't believe the stories going around that Amazon treats their employee so bad. They'd have no one working there if this was true! They are opening a distribution center here in downstate Michigan soo. I'll find out firsthand if this myth is true. That being said I couldn't live without my Amazon Prime! I live rural now, don't have much shopping around me. Of course I shop locally, I'll always give my locals my business first but if I still can't find what I'm looking for....Amazon it is! 2 days later its at my doorstep!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW!  So OP won't buy from Amazon because the company is a success and the owner can afford an expensive second house??!!  Does OP check on every company owner she buys from to make sure they don't make a lot of money and to see how they spend it.  Prime doesn't work for her and it's her choice not to resubscribe but that one sentence doesn't make sense.  Why should how any successful person spends their money that they worked hard for be anyone's business??

Honored Contributor

You have to do what is best for your budget, but for me Prime has become essential. I live in a small town without a lot of stores, so getting items quickly is so helpful. I use the music and video streaming, and I can get free magazines and books for my iPad and kindle. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amazon Prime is well worth it to me.  I've had it for about as long as they've offered it.  I order from Amazon very often.  Ok, all the time often, LOL.

It's a business for profit, just like millions of others.  If the company head wants to buy an expensive house, it's fine with me.  I don't research where CEO's are going to spend their money when I make a purchase from their company.

I either like shopping somewhere or I don't and THAT dictates whether I shop there or not.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I had a free month of Prime and decided to get the membership.......good prices and fast shipping.

Honored Contributor

I love Amazon I have been prime for years, I order many different things from them from sweatpants for my Dad to cookies and all sort of things in between

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to chime in too, about the expensive home. That is no one's business how much a person spends on a home, or for that fact, how much they spend on anything. If they can afford it, that is just wonderful! Deciding to not shop at a place because of the owner's buying habits is something I cannot understand.

There are many very expensive (in my opinion) homes not too far from me. One is what many town folk consider out of place because of its size, amount of land around it, and the fact that it is only a family of three. When it was found out that the family was using it so they would have room to help others who needed help getting back up on their feet, to use it also for day camps for physically challenged kids, and to host charity and fundraising parties for many good causes in the area, every shut up!

But even if they hadn't done that, it was not our business on how they spent their money. Since they were new in the area, no one knew until later the WHY of their desire and means to spend that money. Everyone has embraced them now. But the people should have embraced them BEFORE they knew of the good works they were doing and the struggle it took them to arrive at their new status.

By the way, they made their money thru a company whose products we all try to use in our area so we, in our own small way, may support their way of helping others. 

And another by the way........they never charge anyone to use their showcase home and property if a charity is involved. I believe there is just a "clean up when you leave" or "leave everything as you found it" type of fee. 

By choosing not to support someone based upon their good fortune/ability to make money or how they spend it, in many cases, only hurts you. 

I love Amazon Prime. I sometimes think they use drones to deliver my products. I order, they deliver the next day or two. I never, ever see the product delivered. It's like they know exactly when I am not looking and then plop the box down by my front door just to play games with me. The best thing for me is that they seem to have everything. So if I can't find a certain product, have looked everywhere, I check it out on Amazon and there it is. Finally got smart and now check Amazon first; saves a lot of time and effort on my part. ha!

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I could live without Amazon Prime!!!!!!!!!!  I love it!!!!!!  I use it mainly for the shopping convenience of usually finding what I want in one place, without traveling around to find it.

Honored Contributor

When I had a good job and was also working long hours I loved having Amazon Prime but now that my lifestyle has changed I dropped it over a year ago along with my Costco membership.  I do miss both but my credit card bill really dropped.  I did recently place an order from Amazon utilizing their free shipping over $49 and boy did it take a long time to get here (please know I am not complaining but if you love the two day Prime shipping I wouldn't give it up).