Respected Contributor

I was a member for a year and just recently got my money back for an automatic renewal.

I didn't use it, don't have a Kindle, and when I read the owner bought a secondary house for over 22 million I decided I wasn't going to support him.

If I order something online, I will wait, it will come, it's not like I need anything the same or next day.

I have really changed my spending habits and just analyzing everything, what I really need, want and would like.

Just taking a breather and prioritizing. 

Anyone else?   It doesn't have to be Amazon, could be anything else and maybe I missed something.

Honored Contributor

Due to physical limitations,  I cannot browse in stores.   Just going to CVS and selecting a tube of lipstick would be a painful and exhausting major chore.   So Amazon Prime has been a Godsend for me.  It's worth every penny I pay for it... and more.  The speedy shipping is not an issue for me as I'm in no hurry; it's the convenience. 

I'm able to get my dog food delivered right to my front door.  I've placed 4 or 5 orders in the last week.   Last month I ordered a large,  very heavy bakers rack which I intend to use in my kitchen.   At Amazon it was $40. less than at Overstock for the exact same thing,  and of course there was no shipping charge.   I'm a fan. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I love Amazon Prime.  The have anything you might want.  If I can't find it in the store......Amazon has it, including food.  I also send things to my kids who live in Alaska. Worth it for me.  

Honored Contributor

I find Prime to be a good deal, I really like the music streaming option and don't really care about the spending habits of the CEO.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I was a member for a year and just recently got my money back for an automatic renewal.

I didn't use it, don't have a Kindle, and when I read the owner bought a secondary house for over 22 million I decided I wasn't going to support him.

If I order something online, I will wait, it will come, it's not like I need anything the same or next day.

I have really changed my spending habits and just analyzing everything, what I really need, want and would like.

Anyone else?   It doesn't have to be Amazon, could be anything else and maybe I missed something.

@Just Bling

But you are supporting the millionaire owners of wherever you do shop.  What difference does it make?

Regarding the time factor:  We had a tough winter in my family, one virus after another.  Too sick to go to the store and not wanting to infect others, I ordered tissues online, delivery in two days.  That's one good reason, enough for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Of course we all have to make our own decisions, but I'm not sure what a $22 million dollar house has to do with anything.  If someone provides a service that has become successful, I have no problem with them reaping the benefits.  It's not as though he held up people at gunpoint and ran straight to a realtor with the cash.

Nearly every successful business has wealthy owners. Unless they're a friend, I never view buying their products as supporting them.  I see it as taking advantage of getting products I want at prices that are fair.  Boycotting them because they're wealthy would only be hurting myself.  Amazon is one of the best-run companies I've ever done business with, and I wish others would follow their model.  

I know you said that you have other reasons also, but it jumped out at me when you said the owner's second home was your deciding factor.  If you feel that way (which is of course your right), then you might want to take a look at the owners of other companies as well because many of them live very nicely too.

Super Contributor

I just discovered Jet.   A lot of stuff, including fresh food.  Free 2 day shipping (my fresh stuff came next day) with $35 order and the prices really do come down as you buy more.   They have some things Amazon and Walmart don't, but, then again, the others have some things Jet doesn't carry.  And you get a 0.8% reduction for using a debit card.   I've placed 2 orders:  one for ordinary groceries and one for fresh food.  Both came as promised.  Both were a little heavy on the paper packing, but my own recycles.   I don't know what the next stage in the competition will bring, but I'm looking forward to it. ( If you order frozen stuff, be careful of the dry ice.  It isn't as fully labeled as it could be.)

Respected Contributor

I occasionally order from Amazon but I really prefer to support local businesses. I also read an expose of how they treat their employees. The employees have difficult time quotas for each item, some warehouses have no temperature controls and bathroom breaks count against the quotas. So good prices and convenience come at a price. Yes I know that they are not forced to work there, one employee described the relief he felt when he was fired for not making quotas.

Honored Contributor

Nope - not me. I love Prime.

When I lived in The Big City, although I had Kindles I didn't order enough other things, or use enough other things, to be worth it for me to pay the yearly fee; almost anything I might have wanted, I could wait for.

Within the past year I've moved to a semi-rural area; all of the stores, even the chain stores and those in larger nearby towns, do not stock many household things I need. My wifi stinks. I bought Prime and those household and drug items as well as other needed-but-not-stocked items are at my house in 2-4 days. I can download Prime videos to my heart's content without needing to stream. I bought an Echo Dot. I have free games, free or inexpensive books and free/inexpensive music if I want it. I don't use all of the Amazon infrastructure, but just the delivery & the video makes it worth it for me.  It all depends on what you need or want Prime for. Some people don't need it; for many it saves a multi-hour drive hunting down things they can't get locally - or for some, couldn't get home (think 30 lb sacks of dog food).

I don't love everything about Jeff Bezos, but he's long been a strong supporter of LGBT rights, and for that I applaud and support him.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I just discovered Jet.   A lot of stuff, including fresh food.  Free 2 day shipping (my fresh stuff came next day) with $35 order and the prices really do come down as you buy more.   They have some things Amazon and Walmart don't, but, then again, the others have some things Jet doesn't carry.  And you get a 0.8% reduction for using a debit card.   I've placed 2 orders:  one for ordinary groceries and one for fresh food.  Both came as promised.  Both were a little heavy on the paper packing, but my own recycles.   I don't know what the next stage in the competition will bring, but I'm looking forward to it. ( If you order frozen stuff, be careful of the dry ice.  It isn't as fully labeled as it could be.)

I like this company. It is a NJ business. Walmart brought it last year.

I hope you complained about the dry ice.