Esteemed Contributor

I have nothing positive to say about the former ceo of amazon, but. Those on fixed incomes best be smart shoppers. Being frugal with my own money since i was 8 years old, it's all about value per $ to me.

So far most of them I have found to be on amazon, even moreso when s prime member. Prices go up and will stick with my prime membership, if and until, the value of my $ there declines. Then I will look elsewhere.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

A couple of the business anchors were talking about the price increase this morning and were wondering at what price point would they quit paying for Prime.

They reckoned that with a family of four, having Amazon's cash back credit card, and the number of orders they placed with Amazon, it would be worth it to them to pay up to $400 for Prime.

😳

Good question.  I might go as high as $500 because my sister and my niece  would drop their Prime and I could order for them.

Honored Contributor

I understand that @QVCkitty1 ...nothing is for everyone.

I was geniunely looking for reasons why people would pay it.  How often they order, what they order that would justify the fee.  I was interested in comparing those reasonings to my buying habits.

Streaming and movies I get, it's all included in the Prime I believe.

Walmart also has this type of fee service but I think for just ordering, not viewing.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

A couple of the business anchors were talking about the price increase this morning and were wondering at what price point would they quit paying for Prime.

They reckoned that with a family of four, having Amazon's cash back credit card, and the number of orders they placed with Amazon, it would be worth it to them to pay up to $400 for Prime.

😳

Good question.  I might go as high as $500 because my sister and my niece  would drop their Prime and I could order for them.

Interesting @chrystaltree 

Family members could kinda 'share' the Prime at least for ordering...and maybe chip in for the fee.

Ship To !

Honored Contributor

I remember when a membership was $99. It is getting to be too expensive, I'm not sure if I'll sign up again. 

Respected Contributor

I just read that Rotterdam may diamantle part of an historic bridge so Jeff Bezos' super yacht can leave the ship yard. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I understand that @QVCkitty1 ...nothing is for everyone.

I was geniunely looking for reasons why people would pay it.  How often they order, what they order that would justify the fee.  I was interested in comparing those reasonings to my buying habits.

Streaming and movies I get, it's all included in the Prime I believe.

Walmart also has this type of fee service but I think for just ordering, not viewing.

For me, aside from the fact that my Amazon card rebates are more than my annual fee, I actually get a lot of household items that I could get at the store but they would cost more.

I also get Rupert's dog food there.  Back when I started getting it on AD from amazon it was costing $60 plus tax here at the PetSmart.  It was like $20 less on Amazon.

I also get pretty much all the vitamins I take there.  Many of them are now on AD, so I save that much more. But if I bought them from a store they would cost considerably more.  So, I save on the stated price PLUS the extra percentage for using AD.

I get a few food items, like my coconut almond KIND bars there.  I remember when I'd see KIND bars on QVC and the cost was ridiculously higher, so I never bought them here.

I get my tp and paper towels there, also on AD so there is that additional savings.

My Amazon card bill runs from just over $100 a month to around $300 but, considering how much of that i would be buying at the store at a higher cost, it's well worth it.  Sure, not everything I buy there is a necessity, plus I also put my Hulu and Netflix on that card so I save a little there, too.  But the majority of the $$ spent is on household 'need', not 'want', items.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Here is my take, some rely on Amazon because of the convenience and maybe no real time to shop around, I can understand that. but i do have time to look around both in stores and online and so very often I just find it elsewhere at a huge savings. Here are 2 recent examples of that

We bought a compact microwave oven, Amazon price $115, Home Depot price $58 for the same exact item

We buy a huge Belgium dark choc bar at Trader Joe, $5, same exact one on Amazon is $15. 

On the other hand there are a few things like some supplements that I do rely on Amazon for. If you have the time, always good to shop around. 

Contributor

I think it's more than worth it for me. Lately I can't get  a lot of the items I want at the grocery stores. I think Amazon is the way to go, much better than other online reatilers. Plus I utilize the video service big time. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime increase

[ Edited ]

And dont forget Amazon Fresh for those that have that service available, that is a very handy deal they offer too. You can get groceries and haba delivered in 2 hour windows, sometimes you can get a slot for the same day or for sure the next day. I use this often. They have Whole Foods to shop from too but im not sure you get free shipping with that, correct me if Im wrong. But I love Amazon Fresh and alot of times paper towels and such are cheaper than just shopping prime and some things you dont have to buy in large packs. You do have to get 35.00 in your cart for free ship but thats easy, oh and they add a 5.00 tip on your reciept for the driver too Check that out, its very nice!

Thank you to whoever mentioned the price increase.  SeaMaiden was that you?   Smiley Very Happy

eta~ it was you homey!!