Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Once the flood waters receede in Huston, there will be much clean up to do.

I feel for those who don't have flood insurance because even with that insurance, it is costly to tear everything down to the studs, and to rebuild.

The emotional trauma of this will last long after Harvey is gone.

@Plaid Pants2 . Yes for many their lives have been changed forever.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: After the Flood

[ Edited ]

Watching this on tv every night has been heart breaking to see.I cannot even imagine what these people are going through. I am amazed at all the people helping. It makes me feel good about our country. There will always be more good people in the world than bad!

However as far as the flooding, poisoned water, etc etc. I can tell you, Id never live there again, never. If I were people who lost everything Id relocate (IF possible). I believe in climate change and I think its going to get worse with these hurricanes. It is getting worse already (what you dont see on the news all the time is its flooding in other parts of the world right now, and over 1,000 people have died there!)

So anyway, I think instead of rebuilding for it to happen again people need to face the fact that some of areas are going to be unlivable. (Just my honest opinion from research, and something to at least trying to fix this needs to be done).

I really hope and pray everyone will be ok and their lives will get better. It is going to be a struggle. It just breaks my heart! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

So much hurt and pain there , so many questions  , what should be done with building of houses in flood areas, i saw on tv that starting back in the 1950's  houston allowed building in areas that should not had been built on.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@truffle, our feeling was always we couldn't afford not to have it-you just never know.

If you live in an area that's not in a flood zone, it's cheap.

In Florida, we have the problem that people have winter homes here-they can afford to buy homes outright-which is wonderful for them....and then they quibble about paying for flood insurance. 

After Charley, a lot of people simply walked away from their destroyed secondary homes leaving the city to pay for debris removal....

But yet, many of these people forked out big bucks on golf club memberships and eating out every night....not cheap-and golf club memberships don't come cheap.

Our primary residence  costs around $2,500 a year for flood insurance.....some people pay even less....

Even though we paid off our mortgage, we continue to carry it....

When we lived in Ohio-pretty far from any body of water-we carried it there...It was only $35 dollars a year!

Every year we collectively see inland flooding.

I have a cousin in Kentucky who's been hit twice....living on the coast for 20 years, we have never had flooding...

I wish more people who lived inland had it....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2