Respected Contributor

After Hurricane Ike we got flood insurance. We had a piece of wood come through our bathroom wall and because of the hole we got water inside and the insurance gave us a hard time. They didn't want to cover the damage caused by the water. Eventually they did but we then immediately got flood insurance. People need to be aware of how their area floods or not and buy flood insurance if they think they may flood. FEMA will help those who are not covered but they won't pay for everything. We don't want to be dependent on anyone but ourselves. If you can in anyway afford flood insurance get it because we had a couple of scares this time and it was good to know we had that to fall back on. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

We have several active Harvey threads, 

so I apologize if this has been released:

So sad...6 deaths yesterday:

http://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/weather/harvey/family-of-6-drowns-inside-van-while-trying-to-esca...

IMG_2737.jpg

@sidsmom  They found the van today.  I won't get into the details.

Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wonder what percentage of people who live in these flood zone areas have flood insurance?   They are fools not to have it, but I am sure many do not. If they expect the government to bail them out, they are in for a surprise.  .

One of the major news outlets said that 80% did not have flood insurance If a homeowner's lender doesn't require it I could see how people would just feel that it wasn't necessary for their area.  My heart aches for all.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they found the bodies of the missing six family members that went down in the van.

So sad.

They didn't even have a chance.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the kicker though, down the road, in the not to distant future, there will be people who will complain about any tax dollars going to help those who are displaced.

Mark my words.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Here's the kicker though, down the road, in the not to distant future, there will be people who will complain about any tax dollars going to help those who are displaced.

Mark my words.

Not me, "Make Houston Great Again!"

Esteemed Contributor

Huston strong!!!!

Honored Contributor

It's Houston.  "Hewwwwstun".  (New England accent here-it never leaves me)

Not Huston or Halston or Hutson.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

GIVE ME AN "H"!

GIVE ME AN "O"!

GIVE ME AN "U"!

GIVE ME AN "S"!

GIVE ME A "T"!

GIVE ME AN "O"!

GIVE ME AN "N"!

H-O-U-S-T-O-N!

What does that spell?

HOUSTON!

HOUSTON! HOUSTON! HOUSTON!

GOOOO HOUSTON!

HOUSTON STRONG FOREVER!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

I came out of this nightmare fine.  However, many have lost everything.

Yes, there is a ton of cleanup to do.  In all my years as a native Houstonian, I have never seen anything like this.  It is so sad.